"Reliving my childhood memories" Top 5 Page for this destination Glenelg by rosie235

Glenelg Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 215 photos

Going home...

Some of you would have known that January we were meant to be sunning it up in Coogee Beach in Sydney. My son however threw a spanner in the works at the last minute and decided that he would rather go to Adelaide to spend time with his cousins, grandparents and aunts and uncles. So, we changed our plans and went there instead. I hadly had any grounds to argue with him. My immediate family now has grown to 27 of us and when we all get together it is quite a rabble. It is hard to get us all together at the same time but We managed most of us in this pic. We decided to spend part of the time with the family and the other part at Glenelg. Growing up we spent nearly every weekend in summer at Glenelg Beach. We'd pack the car and leave home at 7am to make sure we got the best spot on the lawns so we could pitch our sun shades and we'd spend all day till very late at night there. Most weekends all the close family friends would join us for a huge picnic at the beach. We used to call our part , The wog lawns.. If you told friends where to meet you, they all knew the spot if you referred to it as that. I had so many great memories of summers past. I wanted to show my son all the great spots and tell him all the things that we did as kids. One thing that I wasn't prepared for was the huge change in Glenelg. Our little wog paradise was reduced to less than half the area, The fountain that we frolliced under and in was now silent and empty and sitting there looking rather lost, out of place and forlorne. I was looking forward to sharing Magic Mountain with my son but that has been torn down to make way for another Multi story apartment block on the foreshore.

In the years that I had been missing from Glenelg something wonderful had been happening . I was pretty blown away by the changes. Glenelg has become a real cosmopolitan , happening place. The shore is now lined with beach front apartments, The nightlife was bustling. There are so many restaurants and shops and little cafe's to visit along Jetty Road. For those that like to hit the dance floor afterdark there are a few night clubs there too. I really was blown away. They have also built a marina there.

The surf was good enough to pull out the boogie board and have some fun. I'm not too sure who had the most fun, my little man or myself. Somehow I think it was me. The water was mostly clean and the sand was combed and cleared each morning so rubbish and seaweed was not a problem. We fished off the pier a couple of nights without much luck. Brandon ( my son) caught his very first fish off the pier on our first night. My brother was trying to teach him how to fish and bought himhis first fishing rod. Those around us were fishing for crabs and squid and seemed to have better luck than us. There is so much to do in and around Glenelg. You would never get bored.

• Pros:Cosmopolitan and bustling. Totally alive.
  • Cons:Parking is expensive
  • In a nutshell:Sensational beachside destination
  • Last visit to Glenelg: Jan 2005
  • Intro Written Jan 29, 2005

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Hey honey! Just wrote your address on a postcard - you must be psychic!! LOL!! Hope things are good. Gillybob greetings

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Oh I just love these sort of pages Rosie! Great family memories here :o) Shame about that restaurant though :o( You should have stayed longer at the Jetty and perhaps Brandon might have caught a few more fish for dinner!! :o) Hugs xx

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Just to say hello again :) Nice page you got here. Thanks for sharing about Glenelg. Cheers from Penang, SL

• TheBoyToy's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM

Hi Rosie. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Can't for Australia 2008 myself but 1st: Caymans, Europe, Key West, N.C., Phoenix, France, Jamaica. TBT

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 3:31 AM

There is also a (very small) place called Glenelg where I am from in Maryland.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 3:12 AM

Nice little page. Happy New Year :)

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Indeed. I believe it was especially for me. And what a nice christmas present it is! :-)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2006 at 3:37 AM

Looks like Sarah and I are headed here for some fish and chips... what's the name of Mum's shop?

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 12:20 AM

Great page, Rosie! :-) I'll be making my first visit to Glenelg Beach in the next few days. My budget will ensure that I'm eating at the local fish and chip shop rather than at Scampi's - it sounds like that's not a bad thing!

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 8:31 PM

He is so lucky you have worked it out for him to build pages for school credit!!! Man, If I could get uni credit for something similar .... I'd be thrilled!

rosie235

“opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one..!! thanks Brad for this insight...”

Badges & Stats in Glenelg

Have you been to Glenelg?