"Melbourne has come alive" Melbourne by rosie235
Melbourne Travel Guide: 3,387 reviews and 7,646 photos
Every 4 years , the 71 countries in the Commonwealth come together for a huge sporting event known as The Commonwealth Games. These are held 2 years after the Olympic Games. This year the games were held In Melbourne, Australia.
I was lucky enough to have auditioned and been accepted as a volunteer Athletes Marshall for the opening and closing ceremony. We commenced rehearsals back in january and are still doing these as I type these pages. Until now I had no idea just how much work is involved in putting on a show of this calibre.
The choreography team were the same who worked on the Manchester Commonwealth games, The Greek Olympics and the recent Winter Olympics in Torino.
Wednesday the 15th of March we held the biggest spectacular that Melbourne has seen since hosting the Olympic games back in 1956.
The weaving of iconic Victorian images, the Tram, The football, Backyard Cricket etc with Indigenous aboriginal dream time was amazing.
I felt very honoured to be a part of the whole event.
Aboriginal performers entertained us with a dreamtime tale about the river and the importance of it to their lives. The costumes were beautiful. The elders were wearing traditional possum skin cloaks. These were decorated with designs depicting aspects of clan and country. The designs on the cloaks used at the opening ceremony depicted the modern and traditional life of Victorian Aborigine's.
As Possums are a protected species in Australia the pelts were imported from New Zealand.
Wanda Rokicki, Gina Martinez, Roxana Smith, Ian Knowles, Brian Gillespie, Siobhan Ginty, Kylie Jane Wilson, Darren Tyler and of course Bryn Walters who rushed back from Toronto as soon as the Closing Ceremony was over. They have done an amazing job in coaching and coordinating hundreds of people in such a short space of time to create a huge spectacular.
rosie235's Related Pages
Melbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wherever I Lay My Hat - That's My Home"
- "Melbourne - Our Home for 2005 and 2006"
- "IMPREXXION: MELBOURNE"
- "Melbourne is a Dive"
- "Sweetberry's "Melbourne Page""
- "Melbourne - The Place to Be"
- "Melbourne - My Second Home !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melbourne
- Hotels in Melbourne
- Transportation in Melbourne
- Nightlife in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Warnings and Dangers in Melbourne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melbourne
- 0 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Melbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melbourne
Photos in MelbourneSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Dubai Intro, 16 reviews, 39 photos
- Perth Intro, 1 review, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Airlie Beach 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Darwin 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- State of Western Australia Intro, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- State of Sabah Intro, 8 reviews, 7 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos