"Nafplio - the days of the storm" Nafplio by Spincat
Nafplio Travel Guide: 230 reviews and 686 photos
It looks very peaceful here, doesn't it? Blue skies, glittering sea, mountains rising peacefully.. etc etc... a beautiful port perfectly situated at the start of the Peloponnese.
During the day we explored all corners of this city.
The old part of the town is very like the area known as 'Plaka' in Athens, but even lovelier. Much of it is very steep - streets are mostly made up of challenging stairways and steps.
Below, there's a marble square, old drinking fountains, an old mosque, a very good archaeological museum - and the Palamidi Fortress, hanging over the city (see 'four things we never did in Nafplio'). There's also a smaller fortress in the harbour.
Mt picture was taken along the waterfront - this is a working port, and you can walk along the sea to an area of bars and restaurants that are very popular with local people. As well as being a lovely city in its own right, this makes for a good base to explore the many sites such as Mycenae, Epidarus and Tiryns and the wonderful sountryside and beaches nearby.
Don't miss: the archaelogical museum, the komboli museum / shop and the walk to a lovely beach and little church about 2 kilometres away to the east of the town.
So far so good. Were you wondering about the snow storm?
This is Mycaenae pictured in a blizzard. As we climbed the citadel the snow, just a few flakes at first, became a flurry and then a whiteout .. yelling into the void from the top of an ancient mound!
It was March 2003: snow in Greece, a strike in Athens, burning of flags in the main square... my country had decided to join the invasion of Iraq. It should have been a beautiful holiday but every morning and every night, in a state of disbelief, we put the satelitte TV channels on.
- Pros:A beautiful town, with a lively working port and very pretty backstreets. A fantastci base for Tiryns, Mycenae, Epidaurusand other sites. plenty to do in town too: museums, a fort, good places to eat and attractive walks.
- Cons:Quite a lot of traffic congestion in the modern part of town: not great for driving around; a few rip off tourist places - but very few
1) I never climbed up to The Palamidi Fortress, even though I really really really meant to! The fort dominates the town... more travel advice
Spincat's Related Pages
Nafplio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nafplio, a dream-like place..."
- "The Romance of Peloponessos!"
- "Simply Unforgettable....."
- "Medieval town by the coast"
- "Nafplio - a city with three fortresses"
- "4 days in Nafplio"
- "LOVELY SEASIDE TOWN OF NAFPLIO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nafplio
- Hotels in Nafplio
- Transportation in Nafplio
- Nightlife in Nafplio
- Restaurants in Nafplio
- Shopping in Nafplio
- Warnings and Dangers in Nafplio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nafplio
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Nafplio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nafplio
- Posted in Travel Crete Island Forum "Re: Sitia to Matala driving....."
- updated a Nafplio Travel Page "Nafplio - the days of the storm"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Well equipped apartments in charming house"
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Nafplio travel pages
- Wrote a Review Four things we never did in Nafplio in Nafplio Things to Do
Photos in NafplioSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isle of Wight Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cardigan Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue