"Picturesque old town" Rethymno by Spincat
Rethymno Travel Guide: 165 reviews and 349 photos
One minute you are in a hurly burly of noisy roads and chaotic driving, long spawling resorts of car rental. supermarkets and 'rooms', 'coktail' bars and karaoke... the next minute you are in the old city of Rethymnon, with its narrow, paved streets, old venetian facades, oriental balconies and picturesque ruins.
Though there are places of interest outside outside this very pretty old heart of Rethymno, I strongly recommend basing yourself in the old town itself. There are lots of good rooms places. Book in advance during July - September.
The picture is the view from our apartments, Pepi Studios - a converted venetian house.
Avoid the long seaside sprawl - it is a good beach, but do you want to spend all day on it with a lot of other tourists?
- Pros:Noisy and vibrant, but with calm corners, beautiful old buildings and charming streets, lots of pretty rooms places in the old town, good bars and restaurants, good transport links from the bus station, some unusual shops
- Cons:Modern town = noisy with traffic, old town can get noisy with crowds, outskirts very 'touristified' with some soulless hotels
- In a nutshell:A very good base for exploring this region of Crete
Follows on from the 'Walk around Rethymno -section 1' . The trouble with doing a walking tour is that, rather... more travel advice
My walk starts at the Fortezza and finishes at the Porta Guora. You need a simple map of the town. You can't miss the... more travel advice
Spincat's Related Pages
Rethymno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " RETHYMNO - PLACE TO BE!!! "
- "Got you Under my Skin..."
- "Rethymnon, Crete"
- "Rethymnon: Summer 2005 & Summer 2006"
- "Picturesque old town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rethymno
- Hotels in Rethymno
- Transportation in Rethymno
- Nightlife in Rethymno
- Restaurants in Rethymno
- Shopping in Rethymno
- Warnings and Dangers in Rethymno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rethymno
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Rethymno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rethymno
Photos in RethymnoSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isle of Wight Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cardigan Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue