"From Cardigan to New Quay" Cardigan by Spincat

Cardigan Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 34 photos

surviving the floods

October was one of the warmest autumns on record...

End of November was bright and clear...

Unoftunately we stayed in this beautifully restored Romany caravan in * early* November, during some of the wettest weather I've experienced.

Our vardo and accompanying cabin was snug and dry, although the waters rose to within a foot of the van.

So.... we didn't see as much of the countryside as I'd have liked.

I had happy childhood memories of this part of the world ( the kind of memories where the sun is always shining!) so I was taken aback to find gales and sheets of rain. Remember - November.....

Wonderful beaches, beautiful wooded countryside along the banks of the river Teifi, charming towns and villages.

Dylan Thomas once lived in New Quay and you can drink in the pubs he once frequented; we took refuge in one for quite some time, during the height of the rain. Wander round its pretty harbour and terraces. You might even see seals and dolphins and otters along the coast here.

Cardigan bay is a great sweep of coastline between the two 'sticky-out bits' of Wales : 40 miles of largely unspoilt coastline. Bliss! Out of season you'll be a Robinson Crusoe.

Legend has it that there was once fertile land out in Cardigan bay. One night the sea came in and never went out again. ... now, they do say that on a dark and stormy night you can hear the pealing of the church bells from under the waves...

This is a more recent flood : November 2005

• Pros:Beautiful landscape, seals, otters, dolphins, wild beaches, ancient monuments, some lovely places to eat and drink
  • Cons:a lot of weather
  • Last visit to Cardigan: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2006

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2007 at 5:30 AM

Your Welsh pages are a delight. I want to ask you "What about here?" and "Don't forget there!" - so many places I know and love too. leyle

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 7:02 AM

Thomas and Presley and lots and lots of weather. What an exciting page.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 1:26 AM

Great page! Looks like a lovely place, never been to Wales. Do you have to wear a cardigan in Cardigan? :) greetings from Bulgaria

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 6:52 AM

I gave you 5 stars for the Vardo, although I would feel so cooped up in there, especially during a deluge. Must have been quite surreal.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 11:05 PM

Great tips again from you. I hope October this year won't be so wet when I'm there.

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2006 at 9:36 PM

Oh, I love all these tales, the caravan, everything. Lovely place indeed. And we have heard of C Church here, I've seen several documentaries/shows about her on TV. Happy birthday from Finland, Sini

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2006 at 8:01 AM

Nice tales of a wet October!!! One bit of Wales we don't know well. We have similar stories from Wensleydale in Oct. Very mild but very wet.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 2:54 AM

Wonderful getaway. It sounds so cozy and inviting. The Newcastle Emlyn photo looks so much like the backyard of the home I grew up in. One of the first plays I was in in High School was Under Milkwood. I wonder if our drama coach had been to Llareggub?

Spincat

“Good advice is something a woman gives when she is too old to set a bad example. (Francois de La Rochefoucauld)”

Badges & Stats in Cardigan

Have you been to Cardigan?

Latest Activity in Cardigan