Glastonbury Hotel Tips by Spincat Top 5 Page for this destination
Glastonbury Hotels: 3,294 reviews and 31 photos
Window - George and Pilgrim's
The other day, I worked out that we've stayed in at least 10 different places in Glastonbury over the years:
- 3 campsites,
- 1 expensive 'historic' hotel (picture right)
- 1 'backpacker' place,
- 2 rooms over pubs,
- 1 strange new age community/guesthouse,
- 1 self-catering cottage
- and 1 great B&B (since closed)
Out of the ones still functioning, favourites are :
1) The Old Oaks Touring Park, a campsite up on Stoney Down, above the town.
This is a little way out of town - it took us about 30-35 minutes to stagger back to it from the pubs of Glastonbury one night. It has a lovely rural setting; the Tor very near by; some great walks; wonderful views over the Levels. Couldn't be cleaner or more organised: spotless showers and even a bath. There are areas for washing everything: dogs, tarpaulins, crockery! From £11 per night.
2) Glastonbury Backpackers
Exceptionally good value and on Glastonbury High Street, right in the heart of town. Prices: Dorm rooms from £12 per night, Twin /double rooms from £30 per night. We stayed in the 'double en suite' (£35), painted in bright colours, with funky fittings and a fuzzy TV. Quite scruffy and dog-eared (which I like), but clean, fun & excellent value. There's a bar with live music some nights; a little snack bar, good food with a few tables out on the street, and a snooker room with huge TV (to be avoided). Watch out: can be a lot of noise from all this - not to mention the revellers out back on a summer night. Book in advance at busy times.
Unique Qualities: 3) The George and Pilgrim
We stayed in the cheapest room of this C15th establishment - and that particular room was a little bit dark and musty and, I think, haunted. (That room often seems to be free when all others are booked! We have made enquiries twice since, which established this fact and I wouldn't stay in that room again.) I think some of the other bedrooms are much nicer, though this is an old building and hard to keep up to C20th standards. The public rooms, such as the beautiful panelled bar, are the nicest; the magical picture of the stained glass window was taken in the bar. From £65 per night. Breakfast. Right on the High Steet.
4) And finally a group of self catering cottages, mostly barns, nicely converted.
Like many self-catering places this can be pricey at popular times of the year, with bargains off-peak. From £205 per week (2004 prices) for a small cottage for 2. There are some bigger places, accommodating 7 or 8 people and these are very good value. There's even a swimming pool. The best thing about it, for us, was the fantastic view over the sweeping countryside towards Wells. A way out of town - big advantage for those who want peace and quiet. The place is under new management, I think, since we visited, and offers riding/trekking too, so would be pleased to get an update from you if you have stayed recently.
5)The strange new age place? Well, I'll keep that story for another day....
Directions: I've covered 4-for-price-of-1! For more information go to the website provided with each listing.
I recommend the website below for general accommodation information in Glastonbury
More Reviews (6)
Spincat's Related Pages
Glastonbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GLASTONBURY - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!"
- "The Mystical Isle of Avalon"
- "Glastonbury - not just for hippies"
- "Glastonbury - Tranquility at it's finest!"
- "Glastonbury Festival"
- "England's mountains green"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glastonbury
- Hotels in Glastonbury
- Transportation in Glastonbury
- Nightlife in Glastonbury
- Restaurants in Glastonbury
- Shopping in Glastonbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Glastonbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glastonbury
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Glastonbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glastonbury
- Posted in Travel Crete Island Forum "Re: Sitia to Matala driving....."
- Commented on one of Sjalen's Glastonbury travel pages
- Wrote a Review Glastonbury as a base: trips out & about in Glastonbury Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Glastonbury as a base: trips out & about"
- updated a Glastonbury Travel Page "Glastonbury - not just for hippies"
Photos in GlastonburySee All Photos (12)
Read real reviews about Glastonbury Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isle of Wight Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cardigan Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue