"Sezincote House" Stow on the Wold by Spincat
Stow on the Wold Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 41 photos
This is a page about Sezincote House - an extraordinary estate near to Stow on the Wold and Morton in Marsh.
The house was built in 1810 and shows a mixture of Hindu and Muslim design influences - it is reminiscent of the Brighton Dome, although lovelier, and is an indication the growing British interest in "the exotic" of that time.
The estate was bought by a Colonel John Cokerell on his return from India and work on the house was completed by his brother and another family member after he died. The Indian influence extends to the garden which has an amazing tennis pavilion and bridge (sadly, the Nandi bulls that decorate it are frequently stolen!).
It was a wet day when we visited and rain is on my lens in this picture of the famous Sezincote Orangery.
The house is only open Thursday, Fridays and Bank Holiday Mondays. It costs £6 per person to visit the house and gardens (price as of 2006). This wesbite has opening times and a map.
- Pros:One of many interesting things to do in teh area. A quite unique house. The limited opening times are a plus because the house has a quiet air about it.
- Cons:The unpredictable English weather!
Spincat's Related Pages
Stow on the Wold Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Cotswold Route..."
- "Stow on the Wold"
- "stow on the wold"
- "British Cheese Festivals 2000 and 2001"
- "The Cutest Little Place You've Ever Seen"
- "Stow on the wold"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stow on the Wold
- Hotels in Stow on the Wold
- Restaurants in Stow on the Wold
- See All...
Explore the World
- Angeles City Hotels
- Castellón de la Plana
- Colorado Springs
- Badoc Hotels
- Republic of Montenegro
- Bow Valley Provincial Park Hotels
- Yumurtalik Hotels
- Negeri Pahang
- San Salvador
- San Clemente
- Placencia Village
- Swillington Hotels
- Shallotte Hotels
Badges & Stats in Stow on the Wold
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Stow on the Wold?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stow on the Wold
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isle of Wight Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cardigan Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue