"Tenby : why the Riviera when there's Wales?" Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby by Spincat
Tenby Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 249 photos
Beaches.......beaches... beaches ...
There are two looooooong beaches in Tenby. The south beach that sweeps below a Victorian esplanade poised on crags, then sweeps on and on until the town disappears and there are only wild dunes, rockpools, cliffs and caves around and above you; the footprints of other beachcombers thinning out, as you walk on.
Then there's the North Beach. It runs round to the prettiest fondant-painted harbour you can imagine. Some of the streets are on a spit of land that runs between the two strands, and that is the best place to stay because, at high tide, you are surrounded by sea. (See my accommodation tip.)
Many of the town's medieval castle walls are still standing: these were built by the Earls of Pembrokeshire Earls in C13th to fortify the town against the Welsh rebellion. This adds the air of a pretty provincial French town to Tenby.
Like so many seaside towns, Tenby became popular in the Victorian era as a health resort, and it even has its own Albert Memorial on Castle Hill.
My favourite time to visit Tenby is late in the season, when things are starting to close down, there are mists and lots of melancholy weather conditions! (See my Tenby-out-of-season travelogue pics.) I would avoid visiting late June through to end August: it just gets packed!
Virtual Tenby is a good link for accommodation information and ideas on place to eat, as well as local events in and around town. Tenby makes a superb base for exploring the Pembrokeshire countryside, and is an interesting destination in its own right.
I could have been horrible and put this pub under the 'warnings and dangers' section, but I like the Three Mariners, in... more travel advice
The museum is in a lovely setting on Castle Hill in part of the ruins of a C13th castle. Very well designed displays of... more travel advice
Spincat's Related Pages
Tenby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tenby - Pearl of Pembrokeshire"
- "Tenby - Dinbwch Y Pysgod"
- "Tenby : why the Riviera when there's Wales?"
- "Dinbych y Pysgod"
- "Tenby - Dinbych-y-Pysgod"
- "Tenby - tenderly town in Wales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tenby
- Hotels in Tenby
- Transportation in Tenby
- Nightlife in Tenby
- Restaurants in Tenby
- Shopping in Tenby
- Warnings and Dangers in Tenby
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tenby
- 11 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tenby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tenby
- Posted in Travel Crete Island Forum "Re: Sitia to Matala driving....."
- updated a Tenby Travel Page "Tenby : why the Riviera when there's Wales?"
- Wrote a Review St Govan's chapel & the Stack rocks in Tenby Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Top 'ASBO' pub"
- Commented on one of goglobe's Tenby travel pages
Photos in TenbySee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Crete Island Intro, 29 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brecon Beacons National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Toulouse Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isle of Wight Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Cardigan Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue