"Tenby : why the Riviera when there's Wales?" Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby by Spincat

Tenby Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 244 photos

Beaches.......beaches... beaches ...

There are two looooooong beaches in Tenby. The south beach that sweeps below a Victorian esplanade poised on crags, then sweeps on and on until the town disappears and there are only wild dunes, rockpools, cliffs and caves around and above you; the footprints of other beachcombers thinning out, as you walk on.

Then there's the North Beach. It runs round to the prettiest fondant-painted harbour you can imagine. Some of the streets are on a spit of land that runs between the two strands, and that is the best place to stay because, at high tide, you are surrounded by sea. (See my accommodation tip.)

Many of the town's medieval castle walls are still standing: these were built by the Earls of Pembrokeshire Earls in C13th to fortify the town against the Welsh rebellion. This adds the air of a pretty provincial French town to Tenby.

Like so many seaside towns, Tenby became popular in the Victorian era as a health resort, and it even has its own Albert Memorial on Castle Hill.

My favourite time to visit Tenby is late in the season, when things are starting to close down, there are mists and lots of melancholy weather conditions! (See my Tenby-out-of-season travelogue pics.) I would avoid visiting late June through to end August: it just gets packed!

Virtual Tenby is a good link for accommodation information and ideas on place to eat, as well as local events in and around town. Tenby makes a superb base for exploring the Pembrokeshire countryside, and is an interesting destination in its own right.

• Last visit to Tenby: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2008

• halikowski's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 9:52 AM

It's a lovely place, Tenby, as I discovered last weekend. Problem with Saturday evening yobs, however, too many gambling parlours, and what will they do with the hole where the hotel burned down at Easter?

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM

As a fairly new friend..may I be so bold as to suggest...your pic looks alot like lady Di(lucky you;-)...thats a good thing...*wink*...Michael

• Mar 13, 2007 at 5:28 AM

For years my parents brought me to Tenby each summer. There is not a pub or restaurant that at some point we did not visit. By far the Three Mariners was the most welcoming and amusing of all of the establishments in central Tenby!! This pub is legendary!

• alexprofi's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 12:34 AM

Tenby from the air...very good photo!

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 11:25 PM

Being Welsh myself and reading your pages has put me to shame. Wish I could show that I to love Wales as much you. Lovely pages thank .. Love pattypoo

• Jan 7, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Your mixed review of the Mariners suggests that you frequented on several occassions. I've been there and have had fantastic times. Guess not everyones cup of tea, but friendly pub and staff.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 6:55 AM

ooh i love Time Team.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 11:11 PM

Next time I will have to go to the Welsh coast. Your tips are a great introduction into Tenby. I will stay off the pub, though...

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 8:44 AM

Mmmm, I agree, it's a place for off season. Very pretty but VERY popular! I would like to re-visit some day.

• Jul 22, 2006 at 12:53 AM

nice place for vacations:)

Spincat

“Good advice is something a woman gives when she is too old to set a bad example. (Francois de La Rochefoucauld)”

Badges & Stats in Tenby