"MUNNAR THE QUEEN OF THE NILGIRIS" Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar by pravdr
Munnar Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 357 photos
located in mountainous idukki district at the confluence of 3 mountain streams is munnar.
Muthirappuzha, Chanduvarai and Kundala are the 3 streams across which dams have been erected and hydel power generated electricity is developed.
munnar is surrounded by wild jungles and forest reserves and on the reclaimed land lie terrace upon terrace of tea plantations.
the place has a pleasant climate all year round which made it a favorite among british settlers.
it is yet connested by hilly roads and being a bit difficult to reach has remained unspoilt.
a mix of tamil and malayalam speaking people form the local population of munnar. majority of whom are farm laborers. other people in the town are associated with tea industry or tourism industry.
small facotires of tea processing are located everywherein the hills.
as you move around you can see brisk activity by the roadside and in the tea plantations where women are exoert pluckers with a basket on their backs.
rugged scenery and everchaning weather and floating mists make up the mystery of munnar. a perfect setting for a sherlock holmes/alfred hitchcock mystery thriller.
romance is in the air and you can see honeymooners choose munnar for solitude and romantic walks.
at an altitude of 1600 to 1800 meters above sealevel. temperatures of 20-28 avg through the year. it is an ideal place for tea cultivation along the mountainslopes.
the area is known as the kannan devan hills.
the tea estates were taken over by the tata group in 1978. they have divested the stake in te estates recently.
entering tea estates and plucking leaves is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
also in these areas leeches are a problem so enter at your own risk.
the tea estates are nursed by mother nature with beautiful mineral rich mountain springs which contribute to the special flavour of nilgiri tea.
well there are a plethora of activities and sightseeing to do in munnar.
you can enjoy the beautiful weather most enjoyable on a morning walk starting before sunrise and then as slowly the morning magic unfolds take in as much fresh air as you can.
eravikulam natinal park and rajamalai are spots where you can spot the elusive nilgiri tahr.
go to topstation and gaze into over the border into tamilnadu hinterland.
stop along beautiful waterfalls that dot the area.
have adventure activities like climbing up the anamudi peak.sppedboating in mattupetty and kundala reservoirs.elephant rides.
lose your way in the evening mists.
- Pros:good weather,beautiful landscape,as yet unspoilt
- Cons:bad roads,lack of information
- In a nutshell:TEA ESTATE DELIGHT
aituated between neriyamangalam and adimali on the right hand side while going towrads munnar. beautiful roar and there... more travel advice
pravdr's Related Pages
Munnar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A post Monsoon trip to MUNNAR"
- "Munnar - A breath of fresh air!"
- "Munnar- India's answer to Sweden"
- "MUNNAR THE QUEEN OF THE NILGIRIS"
- "Munnar is a famous hill station"
- "Munnar - A Paradise"
- "God's own heavenly hill station"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munnar
- Hotels in Munnar
- Transportation in Munnar
- Nightlife in Munnar
- Restaurants in Munnar
- Shopping in Munnar
- Warnings and Dangers in Munnar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munnar
- 16 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Munnar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munnar
Photos in MunnarSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- New Delhi Intro, 30 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 35 reviews, 112 photos
- Mandu Intro, 33 reviews, 88 photos
- Mahabaleshwar Intro, 18 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 25 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 16 reviews, 90 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ratnagiri Intro, 11 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Chikmagalur Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Shrirangapattana Intro, 17 reviews, 70 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar Intro, 16 reviews, 48 photos