"The Dalles - Seat of Wasco County" The Dalles by WulfstanTraveller
The Dalles Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 35 photos
The Dalles is the seat of Wasco County, just west of the East-West centre of Oregon along the Columbia River. Its name is French for "the rapids" because the largely French-speaking explorers and trappers of the Hudson's Bay Company who explored this region named it for rapids that were once here. However, the dam built at The Dalles has inundated the rapids so that they are no longer visible.
An old town and local transit hub, it has a fairly large downtown.
The area is also interesting for experiencing the rapid, sudden change in climate between eastern and western Oregon. Only about a 1.5 hour drive east of Portland, and 1 hour east of the lush, wet forests of the Columbia River Gorge, The Dalles is hot and dry, in scrubby, barren semi-desert.
- Pros:Interesting town
- Cons:Hot, not much going on
One of several dams across the Columbia River is at The Dalles. There is also a bridge across the river from the Dalles... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
The Dalles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic The Dalles Page"
- "Transportation Capitol of the Dry Columbia Gorge"
- "The Dalles - Seat of Wasco County"
- "On the Columbia River"
- "The Dalles, Oregon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Dalles
- Transportation in The Dalles
- Restaurants in The Dalles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Dalles
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to The Dalles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Dalles
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 101 reviews, 164 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos