"Ukiah - Seat of Mendocino County" Top 5 Page for this destination Ukiah by WulfstanTraveller
Ukiah Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 37 photos
With just over 15,000 people, Ukiah is the county seat and largest town in Mendocino County.
It is a pleasant town, often praised as a very nice, somewhat old-fashioned small town. Long a centre of the wood-processing industry, it has seen this industry decline in reent years with closure of businesses such as the large Masonite plant. However, the indsutry is still important in this area.
It is located on the upper Russian River valley and there is significant wine industry in the area.
Because of its size, it is the regional commercial centre. It is by far the largest town around, being the largest town on Hwy 101 between Windsor in Sonoma County and Eureka in Humboldt County.
This is the old part of the Mendocino County courthouse, which long ago expanded with a much larger section, but they at least kept the old part (unlike Sonoma County, among others).
Downtown Ukiah is quite attractive and pleasant, if a little sleepy. It's quiet, especially on week-ends, and is not very touristy. Although the largst town in the county and possessing an attractive downtown, it is less touristy than the coastal towns in the county, Mendocino and Ft. Bragg. However, downtown is still alive with a number of businesses, places to eat, etc., and it largely keeps alive an old-fashioned small-town feel. It is attractive with some nie buildings and there are many shadey trees on some streets.
- Pros:Attractive, small-town feel, some nice buildings and places to eat, places to visit in the region.
- Cons:A bit sleepy, especially on weekends
The county courthouse is still located in the heart of downtown Ukiah, with an older part from about 1920 attached to a... more travel advice
This is a great bakery and place to get sandwiches, breakfast and lunch, in the heart of downtown Ukiah next to the... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Ukiah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where everybody knows your name..."
- "Ukiah's Days"
- "My Home Town"
- "Ukiah - Seat of Mendocino County"
- "Not Sure Why You'd Be Here, But..."
- "Last stop B4 San Fran"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ukiah
- Hotels in Ukiah
- Restaurants in Ukiah
- Warnings and Dangers in Ukiah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ukiah
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ukiah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ukiah
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 99 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 61 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Ukiah hotel reviews
- Vichy Springs Resort
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- Regency Inn
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Ukiah
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Motel 6 Ukiah
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Discovery Inn Ukiah
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hampton Inn Ukiah
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Best Western Orchard Inn
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Best Value Inn - Ukiah
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013