"Queen of the Southern Mines" Sonora by WulfstanTraveller
Sonora Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 95 photos
Sonora is the county seat of Tuolumne County and has close to 5,000 people. It is the largest town in the immediate area and is much bigger than any of the communities in the other nearby old mining/foothill/Sierra counties of Calaveras, Alpine, or Mariposa. As a result of its rich, glorious past and its continued relatively large size, it has quite a substantial downtown with many old buildings, restaurants, parks, etc.
Originally founded by Mexican miners from Sonora shortly after gold was discovered in the area in about 1848, it was incorporated in 1851. It was for a long time th primary commercial centre of the region during the mining days and was the southern counterpart to Nevada City in the north.
The city's historical importance is still clearly evident. It has one of the largest and most bustling downtowns and old areas of any of the old gold towns, ranking with Nevada City, Grass Valley, Auburn, and Placerville.
It is also one of the most picturesque of the old gold towns. This is partly a result of the fact that no freeway was ploughed through the middle of the town, which irreparably injured both Auburn and Placerville and even scarred Grass Valley a bit. The historic streets and buildings have thus largely been left intact. It is also in part due to the setting along a narrow valley with the core of the downtown in the bottom, straddling the creek, and the old residential areas extending up the slopes on either side while the courthouse, still one of the tallest buildings in town, commands a higher elevant than the rst of downtown.
- Pros:Beautiful, lively, bustling historic town near other sites, touristy but also a real, working city
- In a nutshell:A lively, attractive, historic Gold-Rush city
Sonora is a great old Gold-Rush city with a large downtown containing some impressive buildings. It is attractive and... more travel advice
The full name of this place is "Legends Books, Antiques & Old-Fashioned Soda Fountain because it is a soda fountain in... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Sonora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen of the Southern Mines"
- "Sonora Pass Hwy"
- "Sonora: Queen of the Southern Mines"
- "Sonora, California"
- "Bregman's Sonora Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sonora
- Hotels in Sonora
- Restaurants in Sonora
- Warnings and Dangers in Sonora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sonora
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Sonora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sonora
Photos in SonoraSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 102 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos