"Red Bluff, California" Red Bluff by WulfstanTraveller
Red Bluff Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 57 photos
There isn't really much to do or see in Red Bluff, but it is a fairly nice town to stop in whilst en route somewhere through this region and it has some interesting points to see.
With a population of about 13,000, it is the largest town in the immediate area and it is right on the Sacramento River, which is still quite large this far north. This location is one of the reasons for the town's growth in the past, and in the 1850s it served as an important break-of-bulk/transshipment location since it was the northernmost point on the river that was reasonably navigable.
Red Bluff also was chosen as the Tehama County seat in 1857 after the county was created from the portions of other counties.
It is a junction of I-5, going north-south in the Sacramento Valley, and roads going easdt-west, particularly into the Sierra Nevadas up towards Lake Almanor and Mt. Lassen.
Like the entire Central Valley area of California, it is very hot in the late spring through early autumn, especially in the height of summer. However, by the time one is this far north, the area is higher in elevation and starts to get more rain than down near Sacramento, which receives barely 20 inches of rain a year, or Merced, which in a good year gets about 12 inches of rain. Red Bluff gets around 25-26 inches a year or so and can even get sprinkles in the summer.
Red Bluff's downtown is not very big and is not exactly lively, but it is still attactive, with some interesting and attractive old buildings, nice trees, and it still is basically functioning with stores, restaurants, etc. There is a great Mexican restaurant at the corner of the 2 main streets in downtown, although I forget the name.
Although much smaller than nearby Redding, Red Bluff is a much prettier and a much, much nicer town.
- Pros:Good Place to stop and eat, etc., while going through.
This is a great little place for breakfast and such. The food is really good, service is great, and it is a nice little... more travel advice
Reflecting its former importance and history, Red Bluff has a fairly large downtown with some attractive, substantial... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Red Bluff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Red Bluff:Victorian Town on the River"
- "Red Bluff, California"
- "Road Trip Through Red Bluff"
- "hgausepohl's new Red Bluff Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Red Bluff
- 7 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Red Bluff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Red Bluff
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 101 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos