"Hangtown" Placerville by WulfstanTraveller
Placerville Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos
Placerville, the rough old mining town once called Dry Diggins and then Hangtown before the ruggedness petered out and the town decided to gentrify itself, is one of the most interesting Gold Rush towns. Although, like most, it has long since faded and has in recent decades been hit hard by freeway and suburbdan development, it still retains enough of its old quirkiness and charm to make it worth visiting, especially in winter.
This was one of the most important of the first wave of Gold-Rush towns and in the early 1850s was one of the largest towns in the state. In fact, in about 1854, it was apparently the third largest city in the state, behind only San Francisco and Sacramento, although this didn't last and others like Marysville, Nevada City, and more soon surpassed it as its population declined.
As a stop on the route to and from Sacramento through the Sierra Nevada, and an early location of dry and placer mining from the very start, it slightly predated the other big mining towns like Nevada City, Grass Valley, or Sonora in importance.
This is home to Hangtown Fry, a scrambled dish including, amongst other things, eggs and oysters, hard to come by and thus expensive during the Gold Rush era.
- Pros:Not far from Sacramento; charming.
- Cons:The freeway has not been nice to the town.
Placerville's old city hall, on Main St. just below the courthouse, was built in 1860. Originally, it was the fire... more travel advice
Although I have been in Placerville many times, I have to date spent the night there only once. I stayed at this place,... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Placerville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fun in Placerville"
- "Swingin' in Old Hangtown"
- "Hang em High in Placerville"
- "Placerville Page"
- "The Gold Rush"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Buenos Aires
- State of Tamil Nadu
- Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Hotels
- Waterton Lakes National Park
- Antofagasta Hotels
- Stavros Hotels
- Skyland Hotels
- Myrtle Beach
- Sandingan Island Hotels
- Beltzville State Park Hotels
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Badges & Stats in Placerville
- 6 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Placerville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Placerville
Photos in PlacervilleSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 99 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 61 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue