"Nevada City - Queen of the Northern Mines" Nevada City by WulfstanTraveller
Nevada City Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 295 photos
Nevada City was one of the most significant, if not overall the most significant, gold mining city in all of California starting with the Gold Rush. By the early 1850s, it was one of the three largest cities in California, behind only San Francisco and either above or just below Sacramento in size and commercial importance (it is unclear because the census and other data are not entirely reliable, records, differ, and in the chaotic, haphazard days of the early 1850s accurate information was hard to obtain, especially in places like this with rapid growth, large numbers of people often moving about out in the surrounding countryside rather than staying put in town, many people coming and going, and other towns like Placerville were similarly large at the time). In any case, its population now, of just under 3,000, is only about 1/10th or so of the population at the city's largest.
Although not one of the earliest mining locations, Nevada City grew rapidly starting in about 1850 and was for a time the largest source of gold in the entire state, before being surpassed by its immediate neighbour to the south, Grass Valley. It also remained a prominent mining town for a long time, unlike others such as Mokelumne Hill, with mining remaining a major industry inthe area well into the 1870s with hydraulic mining at areas like Malakoff Diggins.
As a result of its great importance, very substantial early wealth, size, and long-term mining power, Nevada City grew into a large and relatively urban city in a way few mining towns could even approach. The residents therefore developed a large downtown with many large commercial and government buildings, churches, and large Victorian houses in and around the downtown. This, combined with later stagnation that all the mining towns eventually suffered, means that the city has a rich architectural heritage, a large, vibrant downtown, and an urban feel that few other mining towns have, the only rivals being Grass Valley, Sonora, and Auburn, all of which are larger today.
The town is still fairly compact, with the downtown and extensive old neighbourhoods nestled on and among several hills, with a number of steep streets and a generally striking, varied setting. This is notable particularly in the higher end of Broad Street, the main street, with large houses and churches dominating the higher portion above downtown, and the tall art-deco courthouse dominating the downtown in the other direction.
Nevada City's city hall, on Broad St downtown, is an interesting art-deco building built in 1937. more travel advice
Nevada City, as the county seat, has the Nevada County courthouse. It's an old building that was redesigned to be... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Nevada City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nevada City- Making Gold From Its Historic Past"
- "Relive the Gold Rush"
- "Nevada City - A Gold Country Nugget"
- "THE GOLD COUNTRY GETAWAY, NEVADA CITY"
- "Old Time Gold Mining Town"
- "Nevada City - Queen of the Northern Mines"
- "Yubert's Nevada City Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nevada City
- Hotels in Nevada City
- Transportation in Nevada City
- Nightlife in Nevada City
- Restaurants in Nevada City
- Shopping in Nevada City
- Warnings and Dangers in Nevada City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nevada City
- 14 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Nevada City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nevada City
Photos in Nevada CitySee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 99 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 61 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue