"Farthest Outpost of the Russian Empire" Fort Ross State Historic Park by WulfstanTraveller
Fort Ross State Historic Park Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 91 photos
Fort Ross, in Sonoma County north of San Francisco, was the primary settlement in the Russian Empire's farthermost expansion into North America. The Russian American Company, with its activities primarily located in Alaska, settled the Sonoma coast in about 1812 in order to provide an additional base for hunting sea otters and as a possible agricultural settlement to provide food to the colonies in Alaska.
The Russians settled in several spots along the coast, but Fort Ross (also Colonia Ross) was the primary settlement. The settlers included both Russians and Aleuts from Alaska. Fort Ross is located on a cove that was the base for Aleut boats used in otter hunting and it included a substantial stockade with artillery.
The Russians eventually abandoned the attempt tp settle California in 1841 and sold the fort.
The commandant's building in the fort is original but the others were rebuilt after years of decay.
- Pros:Fascinating, unusual footnote in history, beautiful area.
- Cons:Isolated, with a rather long drive along a windy road.
- In a nutshell:No other place like it in California.
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Fort Ross State Historic Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "19th Century Russian Claim on California Coastline"
- "Failed attempt to build Russian America."
- "Farthest Outpost of the Russian Empire"
- "Abalone dive anyone?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Ross State Historic Park
- Transportation in Fort Ross State Historic Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Ross State Historic Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Fort Ross State Historic Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Ross State Historic Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 101 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos