"Eureka-Old Logging Town & Seat of Humboldt Count" Eureka by WulfstanTraveller
Eureka Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 213 photos
Eureka is an old logging and fishing, but primarily logging, town that grew rich in the late 19th and early 20th centuries from the huge logging industry in the area, dominating by dense forests, including much massive redwood forestland.
The town and the whole region later fell into steep decline, along with the logging industry, and became impoverished. by the late 1980s and early 1990s, Eureka was quite impoverished and downtown decayed and lifeless.
Today, thankfully, it has rejuvenated a lot. Although the economy in this part of the state is still in the doldrums, jobs are few and well-paying jobs fewer, this is a beautiful town in a beautiful part of the state. Eureka is actually one of the few towns in the state, aside from the Gold Rush-era mining towns, that is actually smaller now than it was before. As a result, its downtown is quite large and the Old Town, near the waterfront along the bay, has a great collection of old victorian commercial buildings and houses, both brick and wood. Old Town also has a number of great shops and places to eat.
This region is also rich in beautiful, dense forests, including a number of state and federal parks, based on the Six Rivers park system, with much hiking, camping, and the like.
Take note, though, this part of California is anything but sunny - it rains year round and even when it's not raining, it is often overcast. Summer HIGH temperatures tend to be in the mid 60s F. I like this, but one must be prepared.
- Pros:Lovely, large old town, great camping, etc., nearby
- Cons:QUiet, remote
Eureka, due to its former lumber wealth in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, has a large, attractive old town that... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Eureka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Humboldt Bay, a landlocked shelter"
- "Eunique Eureka"
- "Charming Eureka"
- "Eureka: Among the Redwoods"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eureka
- Hotels in Eureka
- Transportation in Eureka
- Nightlife in Eureka
- Restaurants in Eureka
- Shopping in Eureka
- Warnings and Dangers in Eureka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eureka
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Eureka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eureka
Photos in EurekaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 101 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos