"Benicia - Former State Capital" Benicia by WulfstanTraveller
Benicia Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 118 photos
Benicia is a small city in the North Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area. It is in southern Solano County right next to larger Vallejo and across the Carquinez Strait from Contra Costa County.
One of California's oldest cities, it was founded in 1847 and named after the wife of Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, Francisca Maria Felipe Benicia, who was the daughter of Dona Maria Carrillo of Santa Rosa. It was one of only 8 cities incorporated in 1850, the year California became a state (the others being San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose, San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, and Stockton).
Benicia was briefly the California State Capital from 1853 until 1854, replacing Vallejo. However, Sacramento became the capital in 1854 and has remained so ever since.
Because of its early importance, Benicia to this day has an attractive old downtown and surrounding area with a number of old buildings. These include the old California capitol, built in 1853, and the first Masonic Lodge in California, still used and built in 1850.
Benicia is home to the first Masonic lodge in California that was intentionally built as such. Built in 1850, it is also... more travel advice
This is a wonderful little restaurant in downtown Benicia. It serves a range of dishes with a lot of sandwiches, pasta,... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Benicia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Benicia Page"
- "Former State California Capitol That's Beautiful"
- "Benicia - Former State Capital"
- "My Home Town"
- "On the Carquinez Straight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Benicia
- Hotels in Benicia
- Transportation in Benicia
- Restaurants in Benicia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Benicia
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Benicia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Benicia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 101 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 32 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos