"Amasra - Atmospheric Black Sea Resort Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Amasra by WulfstanTraveller
Amasra Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 255 photos
Amasra is a wonderful charming, atmospheric old town on the Black Sea coast. It has become a touristy resort town, especially in recent years, but this is mostly positive. The result is that the town has wonderful facilities, particularly places to eat, and plenty to offer the visitor. At the same time, in part I suspect due to the fact that it mostly caters to Turks instead of foreigners, it retains its charm and does not suffer from the overly touristy problems that plague the old parts of Istanbul or towns like Kusadasi.
The old part includes different areas, on both the mainland and an island portion, connected by bridge. This includes a citadel and substantial city walls going back at least to the Roman era, modified repeatedly during the Byzantine period, then by the Genoese who rule the city from about 1260 until about 1460, when the Ottomans took it and made their own changes. The old area includes tiny, winding streets and houses crammed together, many charming and attractive, with large wall sections along some areas, and wonderful steps up to the citadel top, giving nice views of the town, harbour, and sea.
This has become one of my favourite places in Turkey.
- Pros:Charming, full of character, great food, and the sea
- Cons:May be a bit out of the way but otherwise none.
- In a nutshell:A wonderful place to visit.
The citadel area of the mainland part of old town dominates the hill of the town, is is normal. It includes massive... more travel advice
Amasra is about 2 hours' drive north of Safranbolu. The road goes through hilly terrain, alternating between hills and... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Amasra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amasra: Turkey's Amalfi"
- "Amasra - Atmospheric Black Sea Resort Town"
- "Very little green-blue town"
- "SLEEPING PRINCESS "AMASRA""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amasra
- Hotels in Amasra
- Transportation in Amasra
- Nightlife in Amasra
- Restaurants in Amasra
- Shopping in Amasra
- Warnings and Dangers in Amasra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amasra
- 6 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Amasra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amasra
Photos in AmasraSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 102 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos