"Edirne: the Second Capital of the Ottoman Empire" Top 5 Page for this destination Edirne by WulfstanTraveller
Edirne Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 462 photos
Edirne is a wonderful place to visit. Although not a very large city, it was the second capital of the Ottoman Empire and its first capital in Europe. Even after Istanbul became the capital in 1453, Edirne was often chosen as a site for monuments and other buildings. As a result, it has a wealth of old architecture that includes not only monuments, but old domestic and commercial buildings as well. The city thus has a lot to see, is very rich in old buildings for its size. The region is also quite well developed and prosperous so, while not full of flashy resorts, it has good hotels and places to eat or shop.
Because it's not in a resort area, lacks famous ruins like Ephesus, and is a bit out of the way for most tourists, Edirne is also not very touristy. One can shop or explore the city without the pressure one can sometimes feel in Istanbul or Kusadasi.
Edirne is also near several other places of interest, such as the attractive, quiet town of Karaagac and Uzunkopru, the name of which means the Long Bridge, and which is justified for the very long and interesting old Ottoman Bridge that is to this day still the bridge on the main road between the two towns.
Finally, Edirne may see out of the way because of the direction in which one must go, but it really isn't. It is only a few hours' easy drive from either Istanbul or Gallipoli and the roads are great.
Edirne has, in addition to the big monuments like the mosques, quite a lot of old residential and commercial buildings. There are many on Maarif Caddesi and the area around central Edirne.
Many old wooden Turkish houses in this part of the country look a lot like Victorians. This house would practically fit right in in some cities in California as I have seen almost identical detailing on some Victorians in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, and San Francisco.
- Pros:Great architecture; close to Istanbul; not too touristy but well developed
- In a nutshell:Great place!
Karaagac is a small town just outside Edirne and practically right on the border with Greece. It is an attractive, leafy... more travel advice
The immediate area outside and just around Edirne is very attractive and rather lush. The rivers are scenic and have... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Edirne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edirne – former capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne: the Second Capital of the Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne - Near the Bulgarian border"
- "Ex-capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Edirne (Adrianople), between Asia and Europe"
- "Edirne in EUROPE!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edirne
- Hotels in Edirne
- Transportation in Edirne
- Nightlife in Edirne
- Restaurants in Edirne
- Shopping in Edirne
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Edirne
- 19 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Edirne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edirne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 99 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 61 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue