"Gelibolu Yarimadasi - Gallipoli Peninsula" Top 5 Page for this destination Gallipoli by WulfstanTraveller
Gallipoli Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 375 photos
This peninsula, probably most famous in Turkey and elsewhere for the bloody Gallipoli (Canakkale) Campaign of WWI, lies on the European shore of the Dardanelles Straight (Canakkale). It is a partially wooded, beautiful peninsula with a mild marine climate surrounded by beautiful coastline and beaches, as well as some fairly picturesque towns and villages.
The southern tip includes a dense, and usually very busy, collection of major sites, monuments, and museum to the WWI campaign.
The peninsula is particularly important in Turkish history not just for the WWI campaign, itself a major watershed event in Turkish history, but because this was the place where the Ottoman Turks first established control in Europe.
In 1356, barely more than 50 years after the first true "Ottoman" ruler, Osman, took the throne, and during the reign of his successor, Orhan, Orhan's son Suleyman Pasa led an Ottoman force across the water to capture the peninsula. The Ottomans soon expanded their domain throughout the Balkans and by 1400 already ruled or controlled, directly or indirectly, much of SE Europe. Contrary to what many people may think, the Ottomans thus conquered this area, plus all of what is now the European/Thracian part of Turkey and beyond long before they conquered most of Anatolia.
- Pros:Beutiful place with important historical sites and monuments
Cape Helles as at the southern end of the peninsula. It has the major British Empire monument, graces, bunkers, Turkish... more travel advice
Johnston's Jolly is one of numerous smaller memorials and gravesites at the location of a particular position or... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Gallipoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORIC NATIONAL PARK ON GELIBOLU PENINSULA"
- "The Gallipoli Peninsula"
- "Gelibolu Yarimadasi - Gallipoli Peninsula"
- "A Pilgrimage for any Antipodean"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gallipoli
- Hotels in Gallipoli
- Transportation in Gallipoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Gallipoli
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gallipoli
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Gallipoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gallipoli
Photos in GallipoliSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 99 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 61 reviews, 149 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 29 reviews, 86 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue