"Safranbolu - Well-Preserved Ottoman Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu by WulfstanTraveller
Safranbolu Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 322 photos
Safranbolu is an incredible place, with a largely intact, vry extensive and well-preserved old town.
Safranbolu once grew very wealthy on the safffron trade and its very name appears to mean "Abundance of Saffron." The town, unlike Bursa or other cities, ultimately languished and became a bit of a backwater, not growing very much. Thankfully, what growth did occur also occurred on the fringe of the old town, instead of having the old town torn up to be replaced with new development.
The result is that Safranbolu is largely unique in possessing a very large, extensive, and mostly intact, and unaltered Ottoman old town. This resulted in the wotn receiving UNESCO world heritage status which, combined with recent growth in the tourist industry for the area, has really helped preserve the town and allow it to be renovated and restored to its former glory. Many houses are still in need of repair, a few being pretty dilapidated, but it is largely in excellent shape. Even the streets are still irregular cobblesones in the old part of town.
The old town mostly straddles a gorge, filling in the base along a creek and extending up the sides, giving it a very picturesque setting enhanced by the beautiful, often very large old Ottoman houses, typically plastered half-timber buildings.
Cafes, sweet shops, bakeries, and gift shops abound. It's touristy, but not overly so, probably thanks in large part to the fact that even now most tourists who come here are other Turks, rather than foreigners.
The beautiful area is full of charm and atmosphere and Safranbolu is one of my favourite towns anywhere
- Pros:Bueatiful, well-preserved old town, great facilities, not to touristy
- Cons:None, really
- In a nutshell:A wonderful, charming place to visit
Safranbolu, being a touristy town that mostly caters to other Turks and relatively few foreigners, is a great place to... more travel advice
Ankara is about 2 to 4 hours' drive from Safranbolu and Karabuk to the north, depending on weather conditions. Overall,... more travel advice
WulfstanTraveller's Related Pages
Safranbolu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ottoman hosts or ghosts?"
- "exceptional entirety of old ottoman houses"
- "Safranbolu - Well-Preserved Ottoman Town"
- "The Enchanting Town of Safranbolu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Safranbolu
- Hotels in Safranbolu
- Transportation in Safranbolu
- Nightlife in Safranbolu
- Restaurants in Safranbolu
- Shopping in Safranbolu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Safranbolu
- 13 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Safranbolu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Safranbolu
Photos in SafranboluSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Rosa Intro, 102 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 62 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 64 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 32 reviews, 148 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sacramento Intro, 30 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 24 reviews, 95 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bursa Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos
- Ankara Intro, 15 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sitka Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos