"Croeso Cymru" Top 5 Page for this destination Wales by grets
Wales Travel Guide: 4,793 reviews and 15,283 photos
Wales has it all - stunning scenery with deep valleys, flowering meadows, barren moors, sandy beaches, fun seaside towns, medieval villages, stately homes and any other type of attraction you can think of.
Wales is said to have more castles per square mile than any other country in Europe.
There are over 100 castles in Wales, some in a better state of repair than others.
Certainly, everywhere you go, there is history to be found and explored.
Very much part of the industrial heritage of Wales, canals were big business in the late 18th century.
Initally contructed to transport iron ore and coal from the mines to the ports, as one horse could pull 25 tons along the canal, against road wagons needing four horses just to carry two tons of goods. By 1800, all the main valleys in Wales were linked by a network of canals to the ports.
Now they are used more for pleasure than work. Boats can be hired for the day or week, pleasure cruises run from many places, including horse drawn boats, and being so flat, they are a great pleasure to walk along.
Many aqueducts were built to cross the valleys, and most are still standing today. They are great testimonies to the engineering of our forefathers.
Having read rave reviews of Ruthin Craft Centre, I have to confess to being rather disappointed. Maybe I hadn't prepared... more travel advice
Again, not strictly in Wales, Ironbridge is a World Heritage area, with many interesting museums (ten in total)... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Wales Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Wales"
- "A Week in North Wales"
- "A beautifull country"
- "Croeso Cymru"
- "A few nights in Wales"
- "Gwlad, Gwlad!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wales
- Hotels in Wales
- Transportation in Wales
- Nightlife in Wales
- Restaurants in Wales
- Shopping in Wales
- Warnings and Dangers in Wales
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wales
- 27 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Wales?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wales
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Northern Lights Tours"
- Commented on one of freya_heaven's Wales travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "More pictures from the Medieval Banquet"
- created a Wales Travelogue "More pictures from the Medieval Banquet"
- Wrote a Review Ruthin Craft Centre in Wales Tourist Traps
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos