"Madagascar" Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar by grets

Madagascar Travel Guide: 1,225 reviews and 3,983 photos

Noah's Ark

Like many of my travels, the trip to Madagascar was inspired by a friend who’d been there and raved about it. Thank you Leonie, for moving Madagascar up the list, and providing me with such a wonderful and varied destination.

The brochure read: ‘Madagascar remains a challenge for the adventurous traveller’. This too inspired me to go, as I’ve always loved a challenge!

The trip was captivating from start (as soon as I bought my Lonely Planet and started reading) to finish (scanning the pictures this morning and re-reading my diary entries for these notes). Such amazing and unique culture, such diverse and wonderful wildlife, such beautiful and gracious people, such dramatic and varied scenery, such rustic and charming hotels. Madagascar is one of those destinations where it is hard to find negative observations.

The island is a veritable treasure chest in terms of wildlife; with 75% of the 200,000 living species (new ones are still being identified) found nowhere else on earth. We saw 13 different species of lemur alone, as well as chameleons, geckos, civets, frogs, spiders, stick insects, praying mantis, snakes, scorpions and innumerable birds. Madagascar is one of the 12 most important countries for biodiversity on the planet and has one of the richest floras in the world with 12,000 species.

In this unique environment, the scenery is magnificent and ranges from humid rainforests with spectacular waterfalls, to arid deserts with spiny cactus-like plants, from sandy coastal dunes to rocky plateaus with dramatic canyons, from impressive rice paddies to colourful coral reefs.

• Pros:People, wildlife, scenery, hotels
  • Cons:How can I find a fault?
  • In a nutshell:A nature-lover's dream
  • Last visit to Madagascar: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2007

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Hi Grete, you have an excellent page on Madagascar here. I loved the opening photo, also lemurs are great. Bora

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Great page. I can't wait to see it all myself later this year.

• dianneswain's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM

thank you for your madagascar page.

• bumpychick's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Thought you might be interested to hear that the Relais de la riene has burnt down! well, the reception, bar and restaurant part. The villas are still ok.

• spitball's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2006 at 11:32 PM

I've heard Lemurs on an album by David Lindley and Henry Kaiser, rec. in Madagascar.One track,was a fluke, as the recording guy somehow managed to mix a drum track with the sounds of these animals, haunting sound.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 6:20 AM

Fascinating and really thorough tips. You seem to have had a great tour - which company did you travel with?

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2006 at 1:27 AM

This is a wonderful page Grets - you really have the knack of taking us along with you. Years as a zoo docent have given me a real love of lemurs - I must make it to Madagfascar one day. leyle

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2006 at 7:57 AM

Wonderful information & photos of the culture & animals of Madagascar !

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2006 at 6:37 AM

Madagascar is a true animal lover's paradise--loved the civet and lemurs! You must have been sorry to depart this interesting country!

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2005 at 8:22 AM

Love the Lemures, great you spoiles us with your wonderful pics, enjoyed my stay with your VT Madagascar Gret ... thanks again my dear lady, greetzzz RoyJava

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Madagascar

Have you been to Madagascar?

Latest Activity in Madagascar