"Madagascar" Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar by grets
Madagascar Travel Guide: 1,238 reviews and 4,044 photos
Like many of my travels, the trip to Madagascar was inspired by a friend who’d been there and raved about it. Thank you Leonie, for moving Madagascar up the list, and providing me with such a wonderful and varied destination.
The brochure read: ‘Madagascar remains a challenge for the adventurous traveller’. This too inspired me to go, as I’ve always loved a challenge!
The trip was captivating from start (as soon as I bought my Lonely Planet and started reading) to finish (scanning the pictures this morning and re-reading my diary entries for these notes). Such amazing and unique culture, such diverse and wonderful wildlife, such beautiful and gracious people, such dramatic and varied scenery, such rustic and charming hotels. Madagascar is one of those destinations where it is hard to find negative observations.
The island is a veritable treasure chest in terms of wildlife; with 75% of the 200,000 living species (new ones are still being identified) found nowhere else on earth. We saw 13 different species of lemur alone, as well as chameleons, geckos, civets, frogs, spiders, stick insects, praying mantis, snakes, scorpions and innumerable birds. Madagascar is one of the 12 most important countries for biodiversity on the planet and has one of the richest floras in the world with 12,000 species.
In this unique environment, the scenery is magnificent and ranges from humid rainforests with spectacular waterfalls, to arid deserts with spiny cactus-like plants, from sandy coastal dunes to rocky plateaus with dramatic canyons, from impressive rice paddies to colourful coral reefs.
- Pros:People, wildlife, scenery, hotels
- Cons:How can I find a fault?
- In a nutshell:A nature-lover's dream
The dinner is sumptuous, with a delicious vegetable soup and an exceptional hot condiment. The main course is Zebu, rice... more travel advice
With sandy paths leading to the sea, rooms, pool and restaurant, the hotel is in a lovely position. I am pleasantly... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Madagascar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TONGA SOA"
- "Under heavy construction!!!!!!"
- "NATURALLY MADAGASCAR"
- "Madagascar, an island filled with friendly faces"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madagascar
- Hotels in Madagascar
- Transportation in Madagascar
- Nightlife in Madagascar
- Restaurants in Madagascar
- Shopping in Madagascar
- Warnings and Dangers in Madagascar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madagascar
- 39 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Madagascar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madagascar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos