Kenya Tourist Trap Tips by grets

Kenya Tourist Traps: 55 reviews and 55 photos

Surrounded! - Kenya

Surrounded!

We are not alone

Kenya is a very popular tourist destination, and you will often find that you are not alone once some game has been spotted. The poor animals may be surrounded by as many as 20 safari vehicles.

Unique Suggestions: As you can see from this picture, the majority of the vehicles obeyed the rules and stuck to the tracks. Our driver didn't - he drove right up to the lion. It meant that we could get some nice photos with all the other trucks in it, but all their photos would feature us! Ce la vie!

• Written Jan 28, 2005
Dual pricing - Kenya
Dual pricing

As you can see from the sign, foreigners pay almost ten times as much to enter the park as locals do.

However you may feel about dual pricing, it is a fact of life in Kenya.

There are many ways of looking at this issue:

As tourists we are naturally wealthier than the locals, so we should pay more.

In that case, should someone from the Scandinavian countries for instance, pay more than someone from Easten Europe?

The locals already pay for the upkeep of this park as part of the taxes.

A lower entrance fee for locals will encourage more local people to value their surroundings and help in the conservation of wildlife and the environment.

Unique Suggestions: My personal opinion is that it may be a rip-off, but I have paid so much to be here in the first place, and the fact that I have the opportunity to actually come here and enjoy this park, makes me extremely fortunate. Why lose sleep over a few pounds?

Fun Alternatives: The way I see it is - you have two choices: either you go and pay, or you don't pay and stay at home. Your call.

• Updated Jan 28, 2005

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Kenya