Kenya Tourist Trap Tips by grets
Kenya Tourist Traps: 55 reviews and 55 photos
Kenya is a very popular tourist destination, and you will often find that you are not alone once some game has been spotted. The poor animals may be surrounded by as many as 20 safari vehicles.
Unique Suggestions: As you can see from this picture, the majority of the vehicles obeyed the rules and stuck to the tracks. Our driver didn't - he drove right up to the lion. It meant that we could get some nice photos with all the other trucks in it, but all their photos would feature us! Ce la vie!
As you can see from the sign, foreigners pay almost ten times as much to enter the park as locals do.
However you may feel about dual pricing, it is a fact of life in Kenya.
There are many ways of looking at this issue:
As tourists we are naturally wealthier than the locals, so we should pay more.
In that case, should someone from the Scandinavian countries for instance, pay more than someone from Easten Europe?
The locals already pay for the upkeep of this park as part of the taxes.
A lower entrance fee for locals will encourage more local people to value their surroundings and help in the conservation of wildlife and the environment.
Unique Suggestions: My personal opinion is that it may be a rip-off, but I have paid so much to be here in the first place, and the fact that I have the opportunity to actually come here and enjoy this park, makes me extremely fortunate. Why lose sleep over a few pounds?
Fun Alternatives: The way I see it is - you have two choices: either you go and pay, or you don't pay and stay at home. Your call.
More Reviews (27)
- See All Mombasa
- See All Safari vehicle # 2
- See All Maasai Village
- See All Balloon safari
grets' Related Pages
Kenya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jamhuri ya Kenya"
- "Mombasa & once around the National Parks"
- ""YOUR @SS is GRASS!:"
- "Working in Kenia"
- "AMBOSELI SAFARI!!"
- "KENYA, JAMBO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kenya
- Hotels in Kenya
- Transportation in Kenya
- Nightlife in Kenya
- Restaurants in Kenya
- Shopping in Kenya
- Warnings and Dangers in Kenya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kenya
- 275 Reviews
- 433 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Kenya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kenya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos