"The African gem that is Ghana" Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana by grets

Ghana Travel Guide: 1,483 reviews and 4,063 photos

Such a great destination for travellers

Although I expect Ghana would not be the first country that would come to mind when you think of Africa as a tourist destination, Ghana would in fact be ideal for a first-time Africa visitor.

So, what has Ghana got that would attract a traveller:

Fabulous white-sand beaches with swaying palm trees

Less hassle from hustlers than the more touristy West African countries

Heart rendering history from the slave trade period

Many well presented museums

Fascinating culture, especially in the rural areas

Virgin rain forests with a canopy walkway

Friendly people

Relative political stability

A reasonable infrastructure

Great prices for us Western travellers

National parks teeming with wildlife

….and last, but not least….

They speak English!

So what’s stopping you going?

How we travelled

We travelled to Ghana with a tour company called Imaginative Traveller who specialise in small group adventure tours. They used local operators called Transafrica. The tour started and ended in Accra, and took in Togo and Benin as well as Ghana. It was the first time we travelled with this particular company. The tour content and the local agents far exceeded our expectations. We were 12 people in total, with a local tour leader called Noah, three drivers (Lucian, Osman and Kofi) and a cook, Daniel. We were 12 people in total, travelling in two minibuses, plus we had a kitchen truck which cooked all our lunches. It all worked very well.

What we did

The itinerary was well thought out, interesting, varied, and extremely comprehensive. The days were long and tiring, but very fulfilling. This is a trip for those who want to see as much as possible in two weeks, not for those who want some relaxation. Most days we would leave the hotel/camp by 07:30 and we didn’t usually get to our next destination until about 18:00. There was so much to see and do on the way, and we made frequent stops. Having Noah to explain to us about what we saw, the history and the culture made it all worthwhile. In many, many places we also hired local guides.

If you are interested in hearing more about what we experienced in Ghana, check out my tips below.

• Pros:History, culture, people, weather, scenery, wildlife, prices.....
  • Cons:Roads, police checks
  • In a nutshell:A great destination for first time African travellers
  • Last visit to Ghana: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Interesting page!

• Dec 3, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Ghana! "eat & drink...tommorow you die" (lol) is a figurative of speech, and you have to be a typical Ghanaian to understand. It's basically means "enjoy life cuz life is too short". hope this helps :-)

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 6:25 AM

Thanks for visiting my Benin page. Great pages on Ghana. I love the witch village, that sounds really interesting. Nope I wouldn't walk that bridge!

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Just spent an interesting hour visiting Ghana through your pages. I would NOT walk across that bridge. Seems unfair that the women always have to fetch the water. Thanks Grete for the nice pics. and tips.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I had a Ghana classmate way back whne I was in grad school at Ohio University Center for Int'l Studies. She gave me a Ghana National Dress and taught me about the culture of Ghana...Great pages!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2009 at 7:35 AM

This sounds a fantastic place and a great company to go with. I was fascinated by your description of meeting the Ashanti King and your visit to Gnani. Oh dear - I think I've just added another destination to my wish list ;-) Will be back for more!

• Nov 14, 2008 at 6:52 AM

THANKS FOR ENJOYING YOUR TRIP TO GHANA; ON YOUR ISSUE ABOUT DUAL PRICING: I BELIEVE IT IS SYNONMOUS TO TUITION IN THE STATES OR UK, THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT PAYS MORE, EVENTHOUGH WE ARE ALL BEING TAUGHT THE SAME THING RIGHT?

• Oct 25, 2008 at 11:07 AM

in leaves is kenkey not banku

• karentids's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Absolutely brilliant pages on Ghana Grete and I love your 'quotation'. Am going January to do voluntary work in village near Tamale so found your pages useful

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2008 at 7:38 AM

glad to have made you laugh. I was slapping my knee while writing it! (nothing like amusing oneself!) btw, I should be in Ghana in October.....once I book tkts, I'll be back to these pages......

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Ghana