"The African gem that is Ghana" Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana by grets
Ghana Travel Guide: 1,490 reviews and 4,490 photos
Although I expect Ghana would not be the first country that would come to mind when you think of Africa as a tourist destination, Ghana would in fact be ideal for a first-time Africa visitor.
So, what has Ghana got that would attract a traveller:
Fabulous white-sand beaches with swaying palm trees
Less hassle from hustlers than the more touristy West African countries
Heart rendering history from the slave trade period
Many well presented museums
Fascinating culture, especially in the rural areas
Virgin rain forests with a canopy walkway
Relative political stability
A reasonable infrastructure
Great prices for us Western travellers
National parks teeming with wildlife
….and last, but not least….
They speak English!
So what’s stopping you going?
We travelled to Ghana with a tour company called Imaginative Traveller who specialise in small group adventure tours. They used local operators called Transafrica. The tour started and ended in Accra, and took in Togo and Benin as well as Ghana. It was the first time we travelled with this particular company. The tour content and the local agents far exceeded our expectations. We were 12 people in total, with a local tour leader called Noah, three drivers (Lucian, Osman and Kofi) and a cook, Daniel. We were 12 people in total, travelling in two minibuses, plus we had a kitchen truck which cooked all our lunches. It all worked very well.
The itinerary was well thought out, interesting, varied, and extremely comprehensive. The days were long and tiring, but very fulfilling. This is a trip for those who want to see as much as possible in two weeks, not for those who want some relaxation. Most days we would leave the hotel/camp by 07:30 and we didn’t usually get to our next destination until about 18:00. There was so much to see and do on the way, and we made frequent stops. Having Noah to explain to us about what we saw, the history and the culture made it all worthwhile. In many, many places we also hired local guides.
If you are interested in hearing more about what we experienced in Ghana, check out my tips below.
- Pros:History, culture, people, weather, scenery, wildlife, prices.....
- Cons:Roads, police checks
- In a nutshell:A great destination for first time African travellers
The Akan people of Ghana, frequently name their children after the day of the week on which they were born. This... more travel advice
Ghana's National Culture Centre is nothing more than an enormous craft market. It is, however, from a traveller’s point... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Ghana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The African gem that is Ghana"
- "* Ghana, Africa's black star *"
- "Real People Live in Ghana"
- "Two weeks in Ghana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ghana
- Hotels in Ghana
- Transportation in Ghana
- Nightlife in Ghana
- Restaurants in Ghana
- Shopping in Ghana
- Warnings and Dangers in Ghana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ghana
- 241 Reviews
- 933 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Ghana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ghana
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos