"Azerbaijan" Top 5 Page for this destination Azerbaijan by grets

Azerbaijan Travel Guide: 448 reviews and 1,537 photos

Where?

That's what the girls at work asked when I said I was going to Azerbaijan. In fact most of them were unable to pronounce it, let alone place it on a map. Only those over a certain age, remember the less than peaceful split from USSR had some idea of the wherabouts of this country. It also featured in one of the James Bond films!.

We travelled independently, having pre-arranged everything from home. The flight was on Azerbaijan Air via Istanbul, where all other westerners got off. A handful of locals (and us) remained on the flight and we caused a little interest as in why we wanted to visit Azerbaijan.

The company we travelled with, Facts Travel, were excellent from start to finish - with our travel documents we even received a few notes of the currency to help us over the first couple of hours! The guide spoke excellent English and was so proud to be showing off her country!

• Pros:Lots of interest and unusual sights
  • Cons:Still a difficult destination
  • In a nutshell:A very different place to visit
  • Last visit to Azerbaijan: Sep 2001
  • Intro Updated Jul 23, 2004

• Feb 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Apparently Absheron Hotel is currently being demolished (February 2009)

• Apr 14, 2007 at 3:59 PM

I do remember the Clangers! Lucky for me that there are no soup dragon at Firuz as I was vettskremt by the dragon :o) Your page make me want to go there more.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Do you do these destinations without tour groups? Do you get a chance to meet the locals and 'experience' a place rather than being rushed through? I wonder about most . . . good luck

• ellielou's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 5:27 PM

I somehow end up at your pages all the time...you seem to be almost everywhere I'm thinking of! Am very serious about Azerbaijan for my Next Big Trip.....

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 6:04 AM

I have heard about Azerbaijan just recently and wanted to know more. It sounds all very much interesting, just a place for me to go on a next bigger trip. Thanks for sharing !

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 3:23 AM

You certainly take the path less traveled. Very interesting page, Grets.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 12:10 AM

Somewhere else MrL has been and that I would love to go. Interesting stuff from you as always, Grete. cheers -leyle

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 9:53 AM

Azerbaijan sounds to be an interesting country to visit and I'm happy I plan to go there next year!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 6:17 PM

mud volcanoes?interesting! promise not to stay close to them;thanx

• Minashka's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2005 at 1:39 AM

Grete, I am glad you got to see so much while you were here :))) Now you can spread the word and thanks to you, more people will know where Azerbaijan is! Chok sagol :) Minai

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Azerbaijan

Have you been to Azerbaijan?

Latest Activity in Azerbaijan