"Suriname" Top 5 Page for this destination Suriname by grets
Suriname Travel Guide: 361 reviews and 1,129 photos
Previously known as Dutch Guiana, Suriname has been inhabited since 3000 years before Christ. The first inhabitants were Indians, chiefly from the Arawak tribe. They eeked out an existence as hunter gatherers, not staying long in one place.
The first Europeans arrived in 1650, and in 1667, Netherlands traded Suriname with the British, for what was the New Amsterdam, later to become New York!
Many African slaves were imported to help work the plantations, although many managed to escape the marsh treatment and fled to the jungles where they became known as Maroons (from the Spanish word Cibaron = runaway cattle).
For 17 years Suriname again came under British rule, until the defeat of Napoleon in 1816, when it was retrurned to the Netherlands.
After the abolision of slavery in 1863, plantation labourers were replaced by Hindustani workers from India, and later China and Indonesia, making Suriname the cultural melting pot it is today.
Racially and religiously tolerant, Suriname is a colourful multicultural blend of Dutch speaking people.
Suriname is reachable by car from Guyana and French Guiana only. No roads exist between Venezuela and Guyana or between Brazil and French Guiana. Over 85% of the country is rainforest and is home to seven species of monkeys, brightly colourful butterflies, noisy macaws and a variety of plants — many known for their medicinal purposes
- Pros:Clapperboard architecture of Paramaribo, rainforests of the interior
- Cons:Oppressive heat and humidity
- In a nutshell:A fascitaing little-known destination.
On 1 January 2004, the Surinam Dollar replaced the Surinam Guilder as the new monetary system. It was decided to make... more travel advice
This area is rich in gold deposits, and have over the centuries been subject to gold mining. Currently Brownsberg... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Suriname Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "6 months Beautiful Surinam"
- "ATLC's roots in Suriname"
- "Suriname, lots of green."
- "Talking Dutch far away"
- "A Trip to my neighbouring Country SURINAME"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Suriname
- Hotels in Suriname
- Transportation in Suriname
- Nightlife in Suriname
- Restaurants in Suriname
- Shopping in Suriname
- Warnings and Dangers in Suriname
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Suriname
- 76 Reviews
- 177 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Suriname?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suriname
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos