"Antarctica" Antarctica by grets
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,220 reviews and 2,930 photos
From Ushuaia in Argentina - the most Southerly city in the world - it was a brutal two days crossing the vast and immensely turbulent Drake's Passage. Huge, foaming rollers marched relentlessly; causing roller-coaster swells as the ship pushed slowly south. Seeing icebergs for the first time we knew that we were about to enter calmer waters and receive a reprieve from the furious seas and the awful sea-sickness that many passengers suffered.
Antarctica was a magical place, the last bastion of isolation with extraordinary vistas of austere beauty. Snow-covered mountains tumbled into the sea and bizarrely sculpted icebergs floated in the icy waters of this most inhospitable region on earth. It was a challenging environment where a few hardy species survive against all odds. Enormous colonies of noisy penguins gave hours of amusement. We watched the gregarious and comically inquisitive birds going about their daily business with boundary disputes, nesting, courting, feeding their chicks, fighting off predators, swimming and diving. Fast and ferocious leopard seals plied the waters for a tasty snack, or a chance to puncture our inflatable boat! Enormous but playful whales followed the wake of the boat; putting on spectacular shows for the visitors. Creeping glaciers calved off enormous pieces of ice, causing tidal waves to wash up any small brash ice on the beach. This was nature at its most fundamental level and we were privileged strangers visiting the most unspoilt wilderness on the planet. Knowing that only 150,000 people have ever set foot on Antarctica, including the early explorers, scientists and tourists, made us feel very special and honoured!
Antarctica has been on my 'Must Do' list for as long as I remember. In 1994 we started to save up for what we hoped would be a Trip if a Lifetime. It was! The remoteness, the stunning scenery and the fabulous wildlife all added to the enjoyment of this trip
For many years I have been an avid lover of penguins. I collect soft toys, fridge magnets, ornaments, posters etc, and my collection is now well over 300 penguins. I was in seventh heaven in Antarctica, with penguins as far as the eye could see. I never expected there to be QUITE so many or that we could get so close to them.
Many photos of these Antarctica pages are by kind permission of Gordon Bain
- Pros:Stunning scenery and amazing wildlife
- Cons:Crossing Drake's Passage
- In a nutshell:Remote and unspoilt
Being fanatical about penguins, I really was in seventh heaven in Antarctica. What can I say? They are cute, gregarious,... more travel advice
One of our highlights was stepping ashore on the seventh and final continent. Those of us who had reached this milestone... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 53 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos