"Antarctica" Antarctica by grets

Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,167 reviews and 2,706 photos

A Journey to the Bottom of the World

From Ushuaia in Argentina - the most Southerly city in the world - it was a brutal two days crossing the vast and immensely turbulent Drake's Passage. Huge, foaming rollers marched relentlessly; causing roller-coaster swells as the ship pushed slowly south. Seeing icebergs for the first time we knew that we were about to enter calmer waters and receive a reprieve from the furious seas and the awful sea-sickness that many passengers suffered.

Antarctica was a magical place, the last bastion of isolation with extraordinary vistas of austere beauty. Snow-covered mountains tumbled into the sea and bizarrely sculpted icebergs floated in the icy waters of this most inhospitable region on earth. It was a challenging environment where a few hardy species survive against all odds. Enormous colonies of noisy penguins gave hours of amusement. We watched the gregarious and comically inquisitive birds going about their daily business with boundary disputes, nesting, courting, feeding their chicks, fighting off predators, swimming and diving. Fast and ferocious leopard seals plied the waters for a tasty snack, or a chance to puncture our inflatable boat! Enormous but playful whales followed the wake of the boat; putting on spectacular shows for the visitors. Creeping glaciers calved off enormous pieces of ice, causing tidal waves to wash up any small brash ice on the beach. This was nature at its most fundamental level and we were privileged strangers visiting the most unspoilt wilderness on the planet. Knowing that only 150,000 people have ever set foot on Antarctica, including the early explorers, scientists and tourists, made us feel very special and honoured!

Antarctica has been on my 'Must Do' list for as long as I remember. In 1994 we started to save up for what we hoped would be a Trip if a Lifetime. It was! The remoteness, the stunning scenery and the fabulous wildlife all added to the enjoyment of this trip

Penguins

For many years I have been an avid lover of penguins. I collect soft toys, fridge magnets, ornaments, posters etc, and my collection is now well over 300 penguins. I was in seventh heaven in Antarctica, with penguins as far as the eye could see. I never expected there to be QUITE so many or that we could get so close to them.

Many photos of these Antarctica pages are by kind permission of Gordon Bain

• Pros:Stunning scenery and amazing wildlife
  • Cons:Crossing Drake's Passage
  • In a nutshell:Remote and unspoilt
  • Last visit to Antarctica: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 31, 2004

• Laysan's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2006 at 12:55 AM

I loved reading your page!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2006 at 5:27 AM

This is a fascintaing page and as I read it I only dream more and more of visiting Antarctica. I hope to get the opportunity when we travel around South America next year.

• peeweekathi's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 9:28 AM

I'm going in Jan 2007 and your very informative pages are helping me with packing decisions, to steering clear of slippery decks! Thanks!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 11:54 AM

Wow, Grete, what a fantastic and comprehensive guide through your part of Antarctica ! I also LOVE penguins, but only listened to their "talk" in southern Chile. Thanks for your contribution here ! Cheers :-)

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 7:53 PM

It must have been fun seeing so many penguins; too bad you slipped during the Drake Passage. Antarctica looks like such a beautiful place.

• tihi23's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2006 at 4:12 PM

I'm sure you have a thousand posts about your Antartica trip but here's another one. I mean we all think about going but I never really thought it was fesable until I checked out your page. 115 countries!?! Thats crazy! ~Tim

• coloradochris's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 10:21 AM

great looking page There are so many things that you can learn from fellow travlers throught great web pages like yours, coloradochris

• sakuyaini's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 9:46 PM

Hi Grets! Wow! I'm at loss for words ! Thank you for sharing all your experiences and amazing photos ! Your travels are sooo inspiring !!!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 5:15 AM

Penguins galore! Quite an amazing place. Ck. in with the Antarctic Explorers Org.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 7:08 PM

Hi Grets. What a great Antarctica page. Loved the pictures. Just super. I also love your motto! How true! Marcia

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Antarctica

• 0 Countries

Have you been to Antarctica?

Latest Activity in Antarctica