"Guyana - the Land of Many Waters" Top 5 Page for this destination Guyana by grets
Guyana Travel Guide: 397 reviews and 640 photos
Settled in the 16th century by the Dutch, their rule ended in 1812 when the British arrived, when it was named British Guiana. After the abolishing of slavery, many labourers were imorted from the East Indies, while many of the Afro-Guyana fled to the interior. The country achieved independence on May 26, 1966.
It is the wild and untouched beauty of the interior that tends to draw visitors to Guyana. With 80% of its land covered with rain forest, this is the eco-tourist's dream destination.
Guyana has an area of 83,000 sq miles; its coastline is about 270 miles long.
The indigenous peoples of Guyana are known as Amerindians and constitute about 4% of the population. There are nine different tribes in total, including the Warao, Carib, Arawak, Arecuna, Wapisiana, Arawak, and Macushi which are the most prominent of the savanna peoples.
The official Language is English which is often spoken with a creole accent.
The major Industries in Guyana are sugar, gold, bauxite, timber, rice, and prawns.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery, great trekking, friendly English-speaking people, fascinating Amerindian villages
- Cons:The lack of large mammals was disappointing
- In a nutshell:An amazing remote and adventerous rainforest destination
Flying from Baganara to Kaieteur to Orinduik to Mahdia to Baganara, we covered large areas of Guyana from the... more travel advice
As most of the roads are sand or gravel, be aware that oncoming traffic causes an awful lot of dust. Particularly if you... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Guyana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guyana - the Land of Many Waters"
- "The English portion of the Guianas"
- "bianchis's new Guyana page"
- "Wonders to Ponder about during Cricket W.Cup 07'"
- "Guyana, a birder's delight"
- "Guyana Massala"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guyana
- Hotels in Guyana
- Transportation in Guyana
- Nightlife in Guyana
- Restaurants in Guyana
- Shopping in Guyana
- Warnings and Dangers in Guyana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guyana
- 200 Reviews
- 353 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Guyana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guyana
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos