Tibet Transportation Tips by grets Top 5 Page for this destination
Tibet Transportation: 41 reviews and 48 photos
The most popular route to reach Samye is by boat across the Yarlung Tsangpo river. The boat is not laid on especially for tourists, it is a regular ferry service used by local and travellers alike. We shared a boat with many local people and their large bundles of luggage, ducks, a dead goat in a plastic bag (with feet and head sticking up), mattresses, bags and boxes. There were some great characters on board and the one-and-a-half hour journey offered a fantastic opportunity of people watching.
The journey takes you across and up the river and although the distance it not that great, it is very time consuming as the boatman has to negotiate the strong tide and avoid the many sand banks.
Himalayas with Mount Everest
We travelled to Tibet from Kathmandu in Nepal, on board the Air China plane. It was an airbus full of mainly tourists, and I believe it runs three times a week.
If you sit on the left hand side of the plane, you may be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Himalayas and Mount Everest (shown in photo, in the middle at the back with its own little cloud).
If you sit on the right hand side and the weather is clear, you will be treated to a magnificent view of the turquoise waters of the scorpion shaped Yamzho Yumco Lake as you can see in the other photo.
More Reviews (65)
- See All Simi La Pass
- Tibetan Opera
- See All Fried sheep's lung
- See All Floor layers
grets' Related Pages
Tibet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Roof of the World - Under Construction"
- "Returning to Tibet!"
- "TIBET: unique people in unique land... and Beijing"
- "Roof of the World"
- "Tibet, the Buddhists on top of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tibet
- Hotels in Tibet
- Transportation in Tibet
- Nightlife in Tibet
- Restaurants in Tibet
- Shopping in Tibet
- Warnings and Dangers in Tibet
- See All...
Explore the World
- Edmond Hotels
- Ålborg Hotels
- Padang Rengas Hotels
- Parkrose Hotels
- Judetul Prahova
Badges & Stats in Tibet
- 141 Reviews
- 406 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Tibet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tibet
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos