"The Roof of the World - Under Construction" Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet by grets

Tibet Travel Guide: 1,400 reviews and 4,147 photos

Mystical, magical, incomprehensible Tibet offers an overload on the senses: the gaspingly thin air; the overwhelming beauty of the world’s highest mountains; the haunting images of Buddhas, deities and demons; the intricate patterns of the colourful Tibetan art; the poignant devotion of the pilgrims circumambulating sacred images; the improbability of the ancient architectural wonders clinging to perilous hillsides; the tumultuous history of inaccessibility, mystery, struggles, determination and resilience. This is a country of extremes with one of the most adventurous, scenically stunning and physically demanding road trips in the world, as we followed the path from Tibet’s capital Lhasa, through gruelling conditions, past vast landscapes and glittering peaks, remote high altitude deserts, densely forested precipitous gorges and virtually unpopulated high altitude moor-land to the end of its borders and further towards the fabled city of Kathmandu.

It was a journey of scenic and religious discovery, of many monasteries merging into one recollection of dazzling Boddhisatvas and Maitreyas, the scent of yak butter lamps permeating the air, the murmured chanting of Buddhist mantras emanating from the faithful, the niggles of the constant attention received from long-distance pilgrims to whom we were their first meeting with the outside world, the struggle for breath at the high altitude passes, the emotional turmoil upon my first glimpse of the Potala Palace. It was the journey of all journeys with the thinnest air, the most treacherous road conditions, the most picturesque panoramas, the most intriguing and jumbled amalgamation of traditional and progressive existence and one of the most distressing and ambiguous political situations. It was the realisation of a long-standing ambition – the ultimate expedition teeming with life-long memories.

Tibet Autonomous Region measures 2,600 km from west to east and 1,300 km from north to south with an area of 1.2 million square kilometres. This is roughly equal to the size of England, France, Germany and Austria put together. Tibet is a landlocked country which borders India, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and China. Most of the Tibetan Plateau is over 4,000 metres high, with an average elevation of 4500 metres and contains the world’s highest mountains, as well as the world’s deepest gorges.

Under Restaurants I have not named specific establishments, I have tried to give a description of the various dishes we were served in different places within Tibet. The food was far superior to our expectations in general.

• Pros:Stunning scenery, fascinating culture
  • Cons:Altitude and remoteness
  • In a nutshell:Go while you can
  • Last visit to Tibet: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2005

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Hello, Grete! Thanks a lot for your comprehensive page! It's a great place to visit!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Hi Grete, what a wonderful page!!! So inspiring, the pictures are most beautiful and the descriptions very interesting!

• Aug 18, 2009 at 4:43 AM

In my travel plans

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM

mmmmm. I think I'll eat yak today..... Preumably meat is a luxurt item. You will get sooooo sick of chicken and rice in Yemen....almost always good, but that's why you end up eating it every other nicght, 'I want to eat something recognisable. Ish.)

• clairedemaisip's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 2:17 AM

excellent pics of tibet..enjoyed looking at them :)

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 3:42 PM

WOW! I am completely amazed by your page! It inspires me, I really can't wait to visit there. Now, I can't wait to research everything so that I can have the best experience. Which type of tour did you go on?

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 5:25 AM

great tips and photos!!!!amazing tibet, just came back from a week of traveling around and will also start soon building my website!

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 9:01 AM

A monk withh the latest fold-up camera phone? I was relieved, I thought he was bringing out a gun to shoot that guy. Excellent page Grets.

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 3:28 AM

Hi Grets. Thats a great photo of Yumbu Lakhang. I'm off to Tibet in 4 weeks. Can't wait!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Must commend u on yr food selection! Must say I missed such delights on my 4 trips from Lhasa to Kodari back in `87.Glad your photos with info filled in a lot of blanks for me ♫·:*¨`* :·~My§ticÄl~·:*¨`*" .隐形的" Greetings from TIM

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Tibet