"Whakarewarewatangaoteopetauaawahiao" Whakarewarewa by grets
Whakarewarewa Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 25 photos
Whaka for short, this is the largest and best known thermal actvity area around Rotorua. It is also a major Maori cultural area.
I have always be fascinated by unusual natural phenomenons, and really wanted to see the thermal activities here just outside Rotorua. It certainly proved to be one of the highlights of the holiday in New Zealand.
There is a strong smell of sulphur in the air - not surprisingly - but you really do get used to it very quickly.
The area is well laid out and you can walk amongst the geysers and bubbling mud pool, so close in fact that if you happen to be down wind during an eruption, you will get soaked!
- In a nutshell:Amazing natural phenomenon
Now there's a mouthful of a name! It actually means the coming together of the war forces of Wahiao. Allegedly. more travel advice
We also see the bubbling mud which is really quite weird. It reminds me about a book I once read - a true horror story... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Whakarewarewa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TE WHAKAREWAREWATANGA0TEOPETAUAAWAHIAO"
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Africa
- Cesky Krumlov Hotels
- Selly Oak Hotels
- U. S. Virgin Islands
- Huntington Beach State Park
- Edison Hotels
- Benicia Capitol State Historic Park Hotels
- Iowa City
- Kals-am Großglockner
- Tarech Hotels
- Orange Park Acres Hotels
Badges & Stats in Whakarewarewa
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Whakarewarewa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Whakarewarewa
Photos in WhakarewarewaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos