"Entebbe and its surrounding area" Top 5 Page for this destination Entebbe by grets
Entebbe Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 166 photos
We land at the surprisingly modern Entebbe airport and are whisked the ten minutes to Sophie's Motel for a briefing.
Entebbe is located on the shores of Lake Victoria, the largest lake in Africa, not far from Kampala, the capital. The population of Entebbe is just short of 100,000
Attractions in and around Entebbe include The Botanical Gardens, the Zoo, Lake Victoria and trips to nearby Ngambe Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary. There is a golf course on the shores of Lake Victoria.
Arrival at Entebbe Airport is painless. There is a small queue for Visa applications, and some locals push in front of us. Once in the office the procedure is very smooth and quick, and before we know it, we’ve collected our bags, gone through customs and have met Robert, our guide/driver. The first stop is a rendezvous with Jane, the rep for Wild Frontiers at Sophie’s Motel. Jane goes through our itinerary, gets us to fill in a couple of forms, takes our “Local Payment” and checks out our insurance details. She explains that the hotels en route are fairly basic, but adequate, goes through guidelines regarding tipping and just generally tries to reassure us. She seems quite nice, although a typically white African!
As we near Kampala on our return journey, the buildings change considerably; there is more modernity but also more squalor. The clothing is also much more fashionable, especially for the girls. We even come across a traffic jam! It’s amazing what a difference there is between urban and rural Uganda, had we come just to Kampala, we would have gotten the totally wrong impression of Uganda!
On the last day Jane, the Wild Frontiers’ rep, joins us on the terrace to find out how we got on. She seems genuinely surprised when we explain that everything went really well, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and that we have no complaints despite the fact that there has been no running water or electricity since the first night. She concludes that we must be well-travelled and experienced! I can’t help but wonder what sort of people normally go on these trips; and consider ourselves lucky that our travelling companions were so laid back and easy going too. Having previously been on a tour with a group of arrogant, unreasonable, demanding whingers, I know how miserable they can make a holiday!
Ngamba Island is a 100-acre sanctuary with lush vegetation and many species of food trees. A total of 39 chimps are kept... more travel advice
Sophie’s Motel is a little run down, but still quite pleasant. The rooms are named after African countries, we are in... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Entebbe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Entebbe and its surrounding area"
- "Entebbe, the airport city"
- "MORE THAN JUST THE AIRPORT"
- "Entebbe, my gate to Uganda"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Entebbe
- Hotels in Entebbe
- Transportation in Entebbe
- Nightlife in Entebbe
- Restaurants in Entebbe
- Shopping in Entebbe
- Warnings and Dangers in Entebbe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Entebbe
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Entebbe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Entebbe
Photos in EntebbeSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos