"Meknes" Top 5 Page for this destination Meknes by grets
Meknes Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 256 photos
When Moulay Ismail beame Sultan of Morocco in 1672, he moved his capital to Meknes, from where he ruled the country for 55 years.
Moulay Ismail's excesses were notorious. 500 women served him and of the many hundred children he fathered, he had the girls strangled at birth and was known to slice off the limbs of any son who did not behave!
He built a 25km long wall around the city as part of his grand plan. 30,000 Sudanese soldiers were gathered together as a 'peace-keeping force' - roaming the country to ensure the sultan's control was felt.
Back in Meknes, 25,000 slaves were employed to construct palaces, walls and fortresses. When the salves died they were used as building material for the walls, their blood mixed in with the cement.
In total there were 30 royal palaces, 20 gates, mosques, barracks and ornamental gardens. Meknes remained one of the four great Imperial Cities until his son took over the reign in 1727 and destroyed a number of buildings.
At one end of the souk is the wool market, where you can see baskets upon basket of wool waiting to be prepared into... more travel advice
Moulay Ismail commissioned the gate himself, but it was not completed until after his reign in 1732. The gate is... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Meknes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M E K N E S"
- "Imperial City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meknes
- Hotels in Meknes
- Transportation in Meknes
- Restaurants in Meknes
- Shopping in Meknes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meknes
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Meknes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meknes
Photos in MeknesSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos