"Al Bayda" Al Bayda' by grets
Al Bayda' Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 6 photos
Just a place for us to stop overnight, there really is nothing in this town to attract visitors. The main street is lined with dirty shops and cafés and plastic palm trees!
The religious importance of Al Bayda runs back to it being the centre of the Sanussiyy movement, which has had central formative importance for modern Libya. The Italians took control of the town and during the years after independence, King Idris used Al Bayda as his adminstrative head quarters.
- Pros:Are there any?
- In a nutshell:Just somewhere to sleep, albeit not very comfortable
This is where the resistance fighter Mukhdar held out in caves, ready to fight for his country against the Italians.... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Al Bayda'
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Al Bayda'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Bayda'
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos