"Benghazi" Top 5 Page for this destination Benghazi by grets
Benghazi Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 327 photos
History of Benghazi
446BC ? City founded by the brother of the King of Cyrene, who named the city Berenice
6th century BC ? City populated by the Greeks and renamed Euseperides
249 ? Egyptians take over the reign of the city and rename it Barneek
5th century AD ? The invading Vandals cause great destructions
642 ? Invasion by the Muslim Arabs
15th century ? The city is renamed after a man called Seedi Ghazi, who contributed greatly to the prosperity of the city
1578 ? Invasion by the Turks
1711 ? Fell under the rule of Karamanlis and comes under the control of Tripoli
1835 ? Under Ottoman reign and becomes one of the poorest regions in the empire
1858 ? The bubonic plague sweeps the region and many people die
1878 ? The return of the bubonic plague kills many more inhabitants
1911 ? The Italians invaded Benghazi, making their headquarters here and rendering the region a colony
1940 ? 1942 - Benghazi receives more than 1000 bombings and is largely destroyed
1942 ? The Italians were defeated by the Allies and came under British rule after changing hands five times
1949 ? King Mohammed Idris As-Sanousi made Benghazi the capital of Barka (Cyrinaica)
1951 ? Libya gains its independence and Beghazi becomes the second city
1986 ? Benghazi is bombed by the USA
1995 - Libyan authorities clash down on Islamists, leading to the arrest of thousands of both Libyans and foreigners, especially Sudanese.
Benghazi is now an attractive, modern city with a population of around 1 million people. It is primarily an administrative and commercial centre and many beaches dot the coastline. In the city centre is the monument to Omar al-Mukhtar, the great Libyan resistance leader who fought against the Italian occupation.
There is an old city with a covered souq, which is especially busy on Fridays. The main covered market, the Souq al-Jreed on Sharia Omar al-Mukhtar, sells all manner of clothes and household goods, while not far off the street becomes a pedestrian precinct or small shops and cafes.
The airport is 32 km to the east of the city.
Great food at very reasoable prices. There was only our group in the restaurant at the time, so not exactly what you... more travel advice
All along the road leading from the seafront to the town hall, there are shops under covered arcades selling men, women... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Benghazi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The city of all ..."
- "Benghazi, Libya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Benghazi
- Hotels in Benghazi
- Transportation in Benghazi
- Nightlife in Benghazi
- Restaurants in Benghazi
- Shopping in Benghazi
- Warnings and Dangers in Benghazi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Benghazi
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Benghazi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Benghazi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos