"Masai Mara" Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve by grets
Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Guide: 548 reviews and 1,646 photos
A journey through the magnificent game park of Masai Mara is an experience that leaves no-one unchanged. This jewel of a park offers diverse and complex geography with grass-carpeted hills disappearing into the hazy distance, an abundance of game and a profusion of winged beauty. This is a place of natural drama with the timeless cycle of life, death and regeneration being played out before your very eyes. The fabled Mara offers endless photographic opportunities by way of its rich and varied wildlife which roams in complete freedom in this pristine landscape.
Masai Mara is named for the local tribe who have resided in this area for hundreds of years, the Maasai, and the Mara, the river that runs through the reserve. The reserve is affectionately referred to as the ‘Mara’. Having the official designation as a park reserve, rather than national park status, means that the local population are permitted to graze their animals and shoot game if they are attacked. This unique co-existence of man and animal does not appear to significantly disturb the untouched fragility of the wilderness.
The Mara is a 200 square mile national reserve on the edge of the Great Rift Valley and border with Tanzania. As home to the greatest concentration of large mammals on earth it is widely recognised as Africa’s ultimate wildlife reserve. The park is the northern annexe to the vast Serengeti-Mara ecosystem, famous for its annual migration of wildebeest. This is an overwhelming place of breathtaking vistas, endless plains and the most abundant variety of wildlife remaining anywhere in the world. The landscape is made up of rolling savannahs dotted with sporadic shrubs and bush thickets. The name Mara, does in fact mean “spotted” in the local language.
- Pros:Animals galore on the beautiful African plains
- Cons:Many safari vehicles vie for space
- In a nutshell:A perfect safari destination
All along the side of the road leading up to the gates, as well as in the village we visited, are stall selling... more travel advice
This map of the Masai Mara shows the main route we took during our various game drives. By staying out all day one day,... more travel advice
- See All Leopard
- See All Wattled Plover
- See All Up close and personal
- Travel light
- See All Maasai Manyatta
grets' Related Pages
Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masai Mara"
- "Croc & Wilderbeast Battle / Mara River 10/19/05"
- "Magical Masai Mara"
- "Plains of Passage"
- "How to See Masai Mara Game Reserve On Your Own"
- "Masai Mara - Migration and More"
- "Masai Mara Game Reserve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Hotels in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Transportation in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Shopping in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- 109 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Masai Mara Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masai Mara Game Reserve
Photos in Masai Mara Game ReserveSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos