"Nairobi" Top 5 Page for this destination Nairobi by grets
Nairobi Travel Guide: 645 reviews and 1,480 photos
Nairobi is the capital of Kenya, situated at an elevation of about 5450 ft in the highlands of the southern part of the country. Nairobi is the largest city between Cairo and Johannesburg with a population of around 2 million. It is one of the fastest growing cities in Africa - a great place to tune into modern urban African life. Unfortunately it is a very bad place in terms of security, with a justified reputation for muggings and pickpockets.
Located in what was once the grazing area of the nomadic Masai, Nairobi's name comes from the Maasai Enkarenairobi, meaning "cool waters. The city was founded in the late 1890s as a British railroad camp on the Mombasa-to-Uganda railroad. It was totally rebuilt in the early 1900s after an outbreak of plague and the burning of the original town and by 1905 it succeeded Mombasa as the capital of the British protectorate. Nairobi is served by Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
Most safaris to Kenya require a pitstop in Nairobi before and / or after a visit to the national parks. Stay in Nairobi and you'll find a town full of hustle and bustle, which gives you a chance to experience a very real part of Africa - street hawkers, overflowing taxis, and probably some of the most unconventional driving in the world!
Citizens from most countries are required to obtain a visa that costs 50 USD. Visas can be obtained directly on entry. However, if there is a Kenyan diplomatic mission in your country, it is advisable to obtain the visa in advance. The visa is valid for 90 days.
We have visited Nairobi five times so far. The first time was in 1986, the second in 1993, the third in 2001, the fourth in 2005 and the last time in 2007.
The tallest mammal on earth, the giraffe is a very impressive sight. It stands at 17 feet tall! more travel advice
Also on our walking safari along the river, we came across this crocodile. You have to look very hard to see it! :-) more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Nairobi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY MISSION TRIP TO KENYA"
- "Nairobi is friendly town"
- "Make this your gateway to East Africa!"
- "Cool Water...pretty cool city."
- "A juxtaposition of sharp contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nairobi
- Hotels in Nairobi
- Transportation in Nairobi
- Nightlife in Nairobi
- Restaurants in Nairobi
- Shopping in Nairobi
- Warnings and Dangers in Nairobi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nairobi
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Nairobi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nairobi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos