"Lake Naivasha" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Naivasha by grets
Lake Naivasha Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 302 photos
The name Naivasha means "rough water" in the local Maasai language, attributed to the many sudden storms which happen here. We were lucky when we visited in that the weather was beautiful and calm. Situated at an altitude of nearly 6000 ft, the area received a fair amount of rainfall which then will swell the surface area of the lake from its usual 160 square kilometres. The lake is very shallow, with an average depth of around five metres. At the beginning of the 20th Century, the lake completely dried up due to drought, and the open land created by the disappearance of Lake Naivasha was farmed. A few years later, when heavy rain fell again, the lake was recreated and the newly established farms were flooded
Naivasha is a fresh water lake, but some questions have been asked as to how the water can remain fresh with no visible outlet. It is surmised that there is an underground escape route, ensuring the flow and movement of water required to maintain fresh water.
The lake is home to a variety of wildlife; over 400 different species of bird have been reported. It is particularly famous for its flamingos and pelicans.
The gandens around the lodeg were beautifully maintained and I was really taken with the lovely tropical flowers. Coming... more travel advice
In the distance we could see hippos wallowing in the lake. We wanted to get a little nearer in order to take... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Lake Naivasha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hell's Gate and other-worldly experiences ..."
- "Lake Naivasha"
- "Lake Naivasha National Park."
- "Bird watching at Lake Naivasha"
- "Lake Naivasha"
- "Victors Mowing"
- "Lake Naivasha - Another Jewell in Kenyas crown."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Naivasha
- Hotels in Lake Naivasha
- Nightlife in Lake Naivasha
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Naivasha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Naivasha
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Lake Naivasha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Naivasha
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos