"The sacred lake" Lake Bosumtwi by grets
Lake Bosumtwi Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 32 photos
According to legend, after a hunter called Akora Bumpe shot an antelope, it did not seem to die as expected, but ran off with Akora in hot pursuit. The animal managed to escape both Akora and his dog Daakye, and jumped into a lake. Bosumtwi Lake - the name means antelope. The lake was full of fish and Akora collected some to feed his dog and later himself and his wife. They all grew strong and healthy and decided to settle by the lake.
The lake was created by a meteor and is the largest natural lake in West Africa at 16x20 km. It is 78m deep and has a circumference of 72km.
- Pros:Interesting legend
- Cons:Not much of interest there to the average tourist
- In a nutshell:Not my favourite destination in Ghana
There are a few stalls/shacks along from the jetty, selling various items. We didn’t actually go over to them, but the... more travel advice
The main fish in the lake is the tilapia, but akabre, apatefufuo and akomfoo fish can also be found. Most villagers... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Lake Bosumtwi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The sacred lake"
- "Lake Bosumtwe - Rainbow Garden Village Guesthouse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Bosumtwi
- Hotels in Lake Bosumtwi
- Restaurants in Lake Bosumtwi
- Shopping in Lake Bosumtwi
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lake Bosumtwi
- 6 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Lake Bosumtwi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Bosumtwi
Photos in Lake BosumtwiSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos