"Elmina" Top 5 Page for this destination Elmina by grets
Elmina Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 346 photos
El Mina town started life as a fishing village way back in the 13th century, and was producing salt as long ago as 700 years. Life still goes on pretty much in the same way today.
The name is derived from the Portuguese title for the whole stretch of coastline: Da Costa de el Mina de Ouro which means ?the Coast of Gold Mines?. Other sources suggest the name comes from the Arabic word for ?harbour? ? el mina.
The Dutch Cemetery was inaugurated in 1802 but wasn?t moved to this place at the bottom of St Joseph?s Hill until 1806. more travel advice
In 1637, the Dutch dragged a cannon to the top of San Jago Hill and bombarded St George?s Castle, then in the hands of... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Elmina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another "Slave - Castle" on the "Gold Coast""
- "Elmina, Dutch remains in Ghana"
- "elmina castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Elmina
- Hotels in Elmina
- Transportation in Elmina
- Restaurants in Elmina
- Shopping in Elmina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Elmina
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Elmina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elmina
Photos in ElminaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos