"The centre of the Ashanti Kingdom" Top 5 Page for this destination Kumasi by grets
Kumasi Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 317 photos
Kumasi was once the capital city of the Ashanti Kingdom and a beautiful town of whitewashed buildings with thatched roofs. Then came the British. The old city was burnt down in 1873, followed by prolonged fighting between the two sides. Kumasi was annexed to the British Gold Coast colony in 1902.
Today Kumasi is a fast-paced, bustling city with no real historical centre. It is Ghana’s second city with over a million inhabitants.
An enormous sprawling market in the centre of Kumasi, you can’t miss it! You can get all your day-to-day requirements... more travel advice
Kumasi market is crowded to the extreme and you could very easily fall victim to pick-pockets. Although Kumasi is not a... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Kumasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The centre of the Ashanti Kingdom"
- "Capitol for the Ashanti Kingdom"
- "Kumasi, centre of the Ashanti's"
- "Kumasi, the Garden city of Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kumasi
- Hotels in Kumasi
- Transportation in Kumasi
- Nightlife in Kumasi
- Restaurants in Kumasi
- Shopping in Kumasi
- Warnings and Dangers in Kumasi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kumasi
- 19 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Kumasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kumasi
Photos in KumasiSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos