"Mankessim" Mankesim by grets
Mankesim Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos
The history of Mankessim is closely linked to that of the Akan speaking people to which the Fante people belong. Mankessim is considered the cradle of the Fante Nation.
History has it that the Akan speaking people were one of the nations that formed the Old Ghana Empire in Sudan, which migrated after the collapse of the Empire in the 10th Century. It is believd that after wandering through the Nile and the River Niger Vallys, they eventually settled at Krako, literally meaning “to bed farewell”; present day Techiman in the Brong Ahafo Region.
After settling there for about 350 years, part of the group decided to break away to find a new settlement since they felt threatened by the Islamic movement that was drifting towards them. This group was referred to as “fa Atsew”, meaning “the broken half”. This group became known and recognized as the Fante people.
The Fante people came across the river Okyi and followed its course until they arrived at a settlement called Adokyir whose inhabitants wore bushy hair. The Fante people conquered these original settlers, and renamed the place Oman-kese-mu, meaning “big town”; present day Mankessim.
The rider and the horse carries a message that a horse may be insane but the rider sane. You should not judge a person... more travel advice
The three men with swords seen on the first floor of the shrine represent the three warriors that led the Fante people... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Mankesim Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Mankesim
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Mankesim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mankesim
Photos in MankesimSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos