"Fox Glacier" Fox Glacier by grets

Fox Glacier Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 370 photos

From Wanaka we drive through some very damp and misty countryside. We see lots of waterfall - and that is just off the roof of the coach. We actually stop at one of the waterfalls - a quick walk through the rain% forest to see - wow! a waterfall! Very nice, but nothing spectacular.

We stop at the information centre at Haast which is quite interesting. The road leading there is steep - 1 in 5 - followed by one of New Zealand's many single track bridges.

We take lunch in Haast, which is famous for whitebait - I didn't expect to have it served in an omelette. It is quite nice but I won't bother to ask for the recipe.

It still rains by the time we reach Fox. Apparently,it rains for 200 days a year here.

• Last visit to Fox Glacier: Nov 1995
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2004

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Nice...to see you doing the glaicer walk at Fox. I saw Fox from a distance and did my glacier walk at Franz Joseph. Bring back fond and scary memories. SL :)

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 7:36 AM

the weather was kind to us and we did a helicopter ride over Fox & Tasman Glacier and we did a glacier landing too. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

• Jan 13, 2005 at 1:11 PM

Wow.. You've been absolutely Everywhere!! pages are sooo interesting.. I could spend hours looking at them!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2004 at 9:59 AM

Crossing the river sounds rather tricky. You are brave. Great pictures and tips.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 5:29 AM

Sounds a great experience - I love your rainy-day poem!

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Fox Glacier

Have you been to Fox Glacier?

Latest Activity in Fox Glacier