"Te Anau" Top 5 Page for this destination Te Anau by grets

Te Anau Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 317 photos

The town of Te Anau and its namesake lake are near the bottom of South Island. This is probably the furthst south we are ever likely to go - that is if we don't get to Antactica (which we later have).

Lake Te Anau is New Zealand's second largest lake at 53km long and 10km wide. The name means cave of rushing water and comes from some caves on the west side of the lake.

• Last visit to Te Anau: Nov 1995
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM

This looks and sounds like a real pristine area. I got interested from a TV show on the Manapouri tunnel. You have done a great job of presenting the area and comments.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Great Page. We are hoping to have a few nights here around Christmas time.

• swings's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM

Oh, wow! I'm just reading "Song of the Dodo", about biogeography, so any mention of these rare and unusual birds is right at the top of my "to see" list of the moment! Thx for this takahe photo. Oh, and I thought Morepork was Pam's mom! Live and learn! w

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 3:53 PM

OK, your birds have my magpie beat. I'll see if I can get some puffin and ptarmigan pictures this summer... ;-) Nice page of a part of the world I hope to visit someday. Cheers, Mark

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 11:31 AM

Excellent page, Grete. Very interesting tips and great photos. The Takahe is an unusual looking bird.

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Te Anau

Have you been to Te Anau?

Latest Activity in Te Anau