"Manzanillo" Puerto Manzanillo by grets
Puerto Manzanillo Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 23 photos
Way down south on the east coast of Costa Rica, almost as far as the Panama border, is a small village called Manzanillo.
We travelled here from Tortuguero, a long and arduous journey, first by boat from Tortuguero to Hamburgero, then by minbus all along the east coast. The last stretch of the journey was on an unmade dirt track, but the views of the ocean more than made up for it.
As I said in the title above, this area is very much more Caribbean in style than Central American. The people are predominantly black AfroCaribbean, of Jamaican descent, and many speak a Creole form of English. Reggae is heard througout the area and there is a lovely laid back feel to the place.
I apologise for the quality of the photographs on all my Costa Rica pages, unfortunately I lost my main camera on the flight out to Costa Rica. Most of these pictures were taken with a small waterproof camera with a wide angle lens, or taken from David's video.
- Pros:Indigenous population, jungle, wildlife, beach, atmosphere
- Cons:Visiting cruise ships
- In a nutshell:A superb combination of rain forest and reef
Kayaks are available from the lodge, loaded up on the van and taken down to the sea. When we got there the sea was a... more travel advice
The sea is clean, blue and warm, but don't let it fool you! If you go too far out, you will find a strong undercurrent... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Puerto Manzanillo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Puerto Manzanillo
- Hotels in Puerto Manzanillo
- Restaurants in Puerto Manzanillo
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Manzanillo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Manzanillo
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Puerto Manzanillo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Manzanillo
Photos in Puerto ManzanilloSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos