"Manzanillo" Puerto Manzanillo by grets

Puerto Manzanillo Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 23 photos

More Caribbean than Central American

Way down south on the east coast of Costa Rica, almost as far as the Panama border, is a small village called Manzanillo.

We travelled here from Tortuguero, a long and arduous journey, first by boat from Tortuguero to Hamburgero, then by minbus all along the east coast. The last stretch of the journey was on an unmade dirt track, but the views of the ocean more than made up for it.

As I said in the title above, this area is very much more Caribbean in style than Central American. The people are predominantly black AfroCaribbean, of Jamaican descent, and many speak a Creole form of English. Reggae is heard througout the area and there is a lovely laid back feel to the place.

I apologise for the quality of the photographs on all my Costa Rica pages, unfortunately I lost my main camera on the flight out to Costa Rica. Most of these pictures were taken with a small waterproof camera with a wide angle lens, or taken from David's video.

• Pros:Indigenous population, jungle, wildlife, beach, atmosphere
  • Cons:Visiting cruise ships
  • In a nutshell:A superb combination of rain forest and reef
  • Last visit to Puerto Manzanillo: Feb 2000
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

You certainly got a lot of views of wildlife down there. What an adventure for you to take. We were close- Nothing like yours. I invite you to see my last trip to Utah/Arizona parks for US remote areas in the desert region. I hiked a lot and drive more.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2008 at 2:34 AM

Great warning tips! Yellow viper.... have seen green ones in Malaysian jungles.

• Apr 11, 2005 at 11:07 AM

Never liked those Iguanas... Anyway: GREAT page of course!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 7:18 AM

Great page. I planned this trip but we never made it, maybe someday.

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Manzanillo

Have you been to Puerto Manzanillo?

Latest Activity in Puerto Manzanillo