"Paramaribo" Top 5 Page for this destination Paramaribo by grets
Paramaribo Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 180 photos
Paramaribo, the capital of Surinam and its largest city, is known as the wooden city of the Caribbean. Some of the buildings were destroyed by fires in 1821 and 1832, but many white-painted colonial buildings remain. The inner city has been placed on the UNESCO “World Heritage” list of historical monuments since 2002, and the buildings are slowly being restored to their former glory. Around 250,000 people live in Paramaribo, which is located on the Surinam River, ca 10m inland from the Atlantic Ocean. In 1630 the area was settled by the British and became the capital of the British colony in 1650. In 1667 it was ceded to Dutch colonial rule. The current inhabitants and mainly of Asian, African, indigenous or Dutch descent. The name Paramaribo is derived from 'Paramurubo,' the name of an old Arrawak village, which means 'city of parwa blossoms.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, very clean and comfortable
- Cons:The heat and humidity
- In a nutshell:The wonderful wooden city of the Caribbean
This famous and very large souvenir shop in the centre of Paramaribo, sell everything you could possibly ever have... more travel advice
Just an easy stroll away from our hotel was this very good Chinese restaurant. There is a take away desk downstairs and... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Paramaribo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Dutch capital in the New World"
- "I have won a trip to Suriname"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paramaribo
- Hotels in Paramaribo
- Transportation in Paramaribo
- Nightlife in Paramaribo
- Restaurants in Paramaribo
- Shopping in Paramaribo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Paramaribo
- 34 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Paramaribo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paramaribo
- Posted in Travel Iceland Forum "Re: Northern Lights Tours"
- Commented on one of GeSpy's Paramaribo travel pages
- updated a Paramaribo Travelogue "More hotel pictures"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More pictures from New Amsterdam Fort"
- Wrote a Review Everything you could possibly want to buy! in Paramaribo Shopping
Photos in ParamariboSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos