"A much too brief visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown by grets
Georgetown Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 77 photos
Unfortunately, we only spent one night here in Georgetown, I would have liked to have had time to take a good luck around.
We drove in from Paramaribo in Suriname, and continued the next day overland to the interior of Guyana, spending our time in the rain forests.
At 200,000 inhabitants, a multinational mix including large numbers of East Indian and native Americans, Georgetown is said to be the least densely inhabited capital in the world. It is also the largest city in Guyana, and its chief port.
Georgetown is located at the mouth of the Demarera River, where it joins the Atlantic Ocean. Many older buildings are raised on stilts above the flood level.Part of the city was destroyed by fire in 1945.
The city was founded in 1871, then called Demerera. It was renamed Georgetwon in 1812 when the British took over protectorate of Guyana, prveiously, under the Dutch, it was called Stabroek.
Constructed to protect the city from the sea - many of the houses are built seven feet below flood level - the wall was... more travel advice
As there wasn't enough room in the bus for us and the luggage, our bags travelled seperately in a truck. It is a good... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to the Lost World"
- "A much too brief visit"
- "A sleepy post-colonial town"
- "busy and lively"
- "GUYANA'S CAPITAL , BEHIND A SEAWALL"
- "Capital of Guyana:Georgetown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Transportation in Georgetown
- Nightlife in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos