"A much too brief visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgetown by grets

Georgetown Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 70 photos

Unfortunately, we only spent one night here in Georgetown, I would have liked to have had time to take a good luck around.

We drove in from Paramaribo in Suriname, and continued the next day overland to the interior of Guyana, spending our time in the rain forests.

At 200,000 inhabitants, a multinational mix including large numbers of East Indian and native Americans, Georgetown is said to be the least densely inhabited capital in the world. It is also the largest city in Guyana, and its chief port.

Georgetown is located at the mouth of the Demarera River, where it joins the Atlantic Ocean. Many older buildings are raised on stilts above the flood level.Part of the city was destroyed by fire in 1945.

The city was founded in 1871, then called Demerera. It was renamed Georgetwon in 1812 when the British took over protectorate of Guyana, prveiously, under the Dutch, it was called Stabroek.

• Last visit to Georgetown: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2004

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM

Thanks for your visits to my S Korea pages! I'll have to likewise read up on your pages here. I'll be taking a few weeks to Guyana (& hopefully Suriname) before going up to Trinidad for ~3 weeks working.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 12:40 PM

Helpful information on a place I hope to visit in the next year or two.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 6:54 PM

I so wish to visit the right shoulder of South America! Thank you Grets, for sharing.

• Mar 7, 2005 at 7:32 AM

hmmmm, japanese built busses sounds like a pain for my body too. Frog-alarm hahaha :-)) I agree with you on whats food for breakfast.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2005 at 2:41 PM

Nice page, Grete The bus sounded a bit cramped, glad they had the luggage truck to follow along.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 4:07 AM

Nice tipe Grets, I see you were traveling far away in exotic places ;-D

• bianchis's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2004 at 11:53 PM

Hi Grets Do you know this is where I met my husband. Brings back memories of the year 1966.

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Georgetown

Have you been to Georgetown?

Latest Activity in Georgetown