"Kaieteur Falls" Kaieteur National Park by grets
Kaieteur National Park Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 49 photos
Kaieteur is probably top of the list of Must See destinations in Guyana, and it was certainly the highlight of our trip.
The falls were discovered in 1870 by Charles Barrington Brown an explorer of Guayana's hinterland.
Although it is possible to reach the falls overland, most people get here by air. There is a small airstrip within easy walking distance to the falls.
Unlike Niagara, Iguacu or Victoria Falls, where there are throngs of people admiring the views - we had Kaieteur completely to ourselves!
The falls are named after a local chief called Kai. According to legend, he committed self sacrifice by canoeing himself over the falls, in order to appease the great spirit Makonaima to save his tribe from the savage Caribishi.
- In a nutshell:A stunning waterfall in a totally untouristy natural setting
This four-inch long colourful grasshopper took an instant liking to me and decided to climb up my trouser leg! All the... more travel advice
......and that does not include me! You can - should you so desire - walk out on an overhanging rock close to the falls... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Kaieteur National Park Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kaieteur National Park
- Transportation in Kaieteur National Park
- Restaurants in Kaieteur National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaieteur National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaieteur National Park
- 12 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Kaieteur National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaieteur National Park
Photos in Kaieteur National ParkSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos